Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Today I was okay.

Ok with where I am and where I am going. My "ah-ha" moment was while I was shopping this evening. As I looked through the housewares department, I had ideas of creating a home just for me. After spending the last 5 years of my life in the same relationship (the last 2 engaged) I had always thought of a future for two. I found the strength to get out of the relationship in December, but it wasn't until recently I began the process of letting go. It has been a difficult road with many ups and downs. I have been single for 6 months now, today was the first day I can truly say I am okay with that. Not just okay, but excited!
I decided relatively recently I wanted to pursue my aspiration to try living not only on my own (no roomies - nadie) but downtown. I did a preliminary housing search. I found it difficult to find a nice place that will take a dog Trek's size. But my diligence paid off, I found a place I fell in love with. It is small but in a great location. Only weeks later, I was presented with an awesome job opportunity - where else but downtown!! I have the interview on Monday. If I land the job, it will completely solve the problem of finding a large apartment in a nice area downtown without a roommate or taking up daily collections. The job pays more than twice what I would make as a teacher. Better yet, the job is something I would absolutely love doing and is still in the education field working with awesome educators. Wow, wow, wow!

This past weekend was totally awesome! It was my 7th consecutive year with Special Olympics Maryland (SOMD). Friday was preliminary competition. Afterwards I:

Watched the sun set from the water taxi . . .


Went to the Orioles game with Stephanie & Jess. . .


Watched fireworks . . .


And hung out with Steph dowtown after it all. Here we are posing in front of the "Maryland Crab". Posted by Hello

Saturday the SOMD Summer Games began. Afterwards, I spent QT with my long-time friend Jim. He moved and changed changes jobs 2 years back and although we talk often, I hadn't seen him since. We went out for drinks and dinner - laughing and trying to out talk each other. Afterwards we went downtown for dessert at the Cheesecake Factory. On our way back to the car, we stumbled upon:

an open air dance party right outside of Harborplace! Posted by Hello

I was too busy shaking my groove thang to get any good pictures. It was so much fun - people of all ages from all walks of life singing, dancing, and having a good time together!

Sunday was the final day of competition at the Games. This year I recruited two friends to volunteer. They worked at the aquatics competition.

My mother, her friend, my brother, and two of his friends volunteered at athletics this year.

From left to right: Me, Lisa, and Jim. Lisa has competed every year since I have been working with Special Olympics. Posted by Hello

I really wish I had more photos to give you an idea of what Special Olympics is all about. I always bring my camera but never have time to take many photos. I think next year I will recruit a friend to come one day and take pictures for me. Anyway, nearly every state has a program and I strongly encourage you to volunteer and find out what it is all about. I have done a lot of volunteering and it is BY FAR the most rewarding experience I have ever had - the fact that I commit hundreds of hours of my time each year planning and running the athletics competition should attest to that.

I was exhausted after a packed weekend - but it was more than I could have ever asked for!

Smiley for the Day:

Heads Turned for: "Today I was okay."

 

Blogger Friar Tuck said ... (2:50 PM) : 

Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Congrats on gaining the courage to move and live where you wanted to be.

Will be prayin for ya with the job.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (8:26 AM) : 

Nikki:
VERY busy - thanks for stopping by.

Don Juan de Bubba:
Thank you for the prayers! :)

Rodriguez:
Hey sweetie! I hope you will get involoved with Special Olympics! Don't disappear again . . ;)

 

Blogger Nicholas said ... (1:30 PM) : 

Hi, I hope you get that job, would really like to hear about the interview.

 

Blogger Don Tate II said ... (12:58 PM) : 

Looks like you are having a fun, fun, fun summer! Enjoy it now!

 

Blogger Brea said ... (7:13 PM) : 

Nick:
Thanks!! I'll be certain to let everyone know!!!

Don Tate II:
So far, so good!! It keeps getting better b/c I'm only taking one summer course second session :)

 

post a comment