Wednesday, July 13, 2005

"Where have you been? I haven't heard from you in forever!"

I HATE when people say that!!! Last time I checked, you had a phone (or two) and an e-mail account. I don't do one-way relationships anymore and you know that! I spent the first quarter of my life carrying the burden of so many relationships - all that ever got me was hurt and frustration - those days are over!!!
Needless to say, I got one of those phone calls tonight. Grrrr . . . I have been neglecting my "online life", but life offline is great. This past weekend I went with friends to see a band play at a local bar. I love dancing and I love drinking - combine the two and I am a happy camper:

"The Terrible Three" - we closed the place down! :) Posted by Picasa
Sunday I spent the day with my brother and two former co-workers:

After this pic was taken, I did my share to make sure that there weren't any leftovers from our purchase of Maryland crabs - the corn was good too ;) Posted by Picasa

Remember the guy I met at the bar a couple of weeks back? Well, we finally stopped playing phone tag and met for coffee. Things are progressing well. Now, I would not ordinarily recommend giving out your number at a bar. Maybe it is just me, but I have learned that after having a few drinks, making any decision that I will have to deal with the next day is a BAD idea. For example, giving out my number. But in this case, the guy was the happy hour musician packing up his equipment when I caught his eye. I got a line - but it was sincere and the conversation was great. So in this case, it worked out. Do as I say, not as I do: do not give out your number at a bar! I've been of legal drinking age for nearly four years - it has never happened before and I don't expect it'll happen again. Okay, I had to throw in that disclaimer - I don't want anyone sending me mean e-mail when the person they meet for coffee turns out to be a bad decision. Last night was dinner and a movie done just the way I like it: cookbook, supermarket, and a DVD. That's right - we picked out a recipe, went grocery shopping, cooked, and then watched a movie together.

Grilled teriyaki salmon with pineapple salsa, sautéed asparagus, Maryland corn, and a dry red wine. Yum! Posted by Picasa

I have a few reservations - he is the first guy I've let get close since my ex - but we've spent quite a bit of time together and I am enjoying getting to know him. I'll keep you posted :)

Where have I been?!! Everything I have mentioned is where I have been and that was just in the last four days! There is also work, school . . .


Lunch dates with Debbie


Spending quality time with my brother before he leaves for college


Downtown with Stephanie


Special Olympics with Jim


Enjoying the sun and fresh air with Trek


I even traveled to Alabama to spend time with Jana, Jerin, and Chiquita

You call me and the first thing out of your mouth is where have you been?! That says a lot about you and nothing about me. I am not going to be the one constantly calling or writing. If you want to be part of my life, fine, meet me half way. If not, that is fine too. Just don't call me and ask me where I have been and tell me you haven't heard from me in months. I'd rather you just not call.

Smiley for the Day:

Heads Turned for: ""Where have you been? I haven't heard from you in forever!""

 

Blogger Don Tate II said ... (9:35 AM) : 

I wish my daughter, about your age, had a role model, friend like you. *sigh* But she does not and seems only to attract trouble. *sigh again*

 

Blogger Friar Tuck said ... (2:49 PM) : 

I have to learn this lesson over and over again.

Maybe it is being the oldest child that has put me in this position, maybe it is being the adult child of an alcoholic (kind of--moms live-in b/f for 10 years off and on), or maybe it is just simple weakness and laziness, but I always feel like I am the one making the sacrifices.

My father for instance. Complains if I do not call or email him, but he rarely calls or emails me. I feel like I am holding the candle for a relationship he is supposed to be the responsible one in. But since my parents got divorced when I was 5, I have always felt I had to take the initiative and love him, and try and make him love me.

 

Blogger Friar Tuck said ... (2:51 PM) : 

All in all though, I have come to the conclusion that I need to take responsibility for myself, set boundaries for myself, and such.
Because if I dont, nobody else will.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (4:36 PM) : 

Don Tate II:
That is very nice of you to say. She will find her path - I just know it! She has a new son & children have a way of changing everything.

Don Juan de Bubba:
I didn't learn this lesson over night. It took a lot for me to wake up and realize I was the only one making the effort and the only one getting hurt. I hope you learn to love yourself enough to stop the cycle.

I went through the same thing with my biological father that you are experiencing. I finally had to do what was best for me - and that was for him not to be a part of my life. It was extremely hard at first but five years later, I have no regrets.

I am MUCH happier now without any parasitic relationships in my life. You'll have to figure out what is best for you - and you will.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (6:16 PM) : 

MJ's House Boi:
Thanks, I needed to hear that. You are exactly right.

 

post a comment