Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Why do I even bother with plans?

Seriously, nothing ever works out as planned. EVER. Yesterday I had planned to blog in the evening after spending the day with a friend. My body had other ideas and I ended up crawling in bed after a hefty dose of Advil. Ah well...

So much has been happening in the life of me. Let's see...

First things first. I got a new camera!!!! My regular readers know how badly I've wanted a new camera. With all the fun trips I have planned for the summer, I decided I could no longer wait. I picked up a few extra shifts at work and headed to the store with a pocket full of cash. I ended up getting a more advanced model of the camera I wanted for the same price! Can you imagine how happy I was?! I imagine it is like taking a newborn home for the first time. Okay, maybe not that exciting but damn close. 8.1 megapixels and tiny enough to take everywhere!

Isn't she cute?!

Well, everything else pretty much pales in comparison. It doesn't get much better than a new camera. Graduation party, crab feast, birthday bash,work drama, new clothes & sandals, Trek swimming, my first pedicure, Trek & Princess Lulu's first sleepover.... See, it all just pales in comparison. Only two events come close to a newborn baby or a new camera: backpacking and Special Olympics.

My most recent backpacking trip was in the Dolly Sods Wilderness in West Virginia. It was the trip that almost wasn't, as people confirmed and cancelled one after the other. It ended up being a small all female group - very cool. Meet Team 219:

comprised of Heather, Meighan, and myself.

Our team was named after one of the most confusing roads in America. While traveling down 219, you will turn right then left then right then left then right and then left again. Hopefully you get the point - absolutely ridiculous. It got to a point where we thought we'd never get there. Then while traveling behind one of the many trucks during the trip, we saw it:

The sign for Monongahela National Forest!

After entering the forest, we quickly made our way to the trail head. We had very little daylight in which to hike in and set up camp. After only a 20 minute hike, we found a great campsite.

First, we set up the tent. Well, Heather did anyway. Meighan and I just followed directions. It was a confusing ass rental tent. After spending WAY too much money renting it and WAY too much time setting it up, I bought a tent as soon as we got back. This trip helped me rationalize spending another $200 on camping gear. (I needed to buy a tent. Now I have everything. Insert evil laugh here.) Ahem. Moving on...

Next we hung the bear rope, with Meighan nearly knocking herself out in the process. The next task was to collect firewood. We gathered what little dry firewood there was. Despite our best efforts, a camp fire was not happening that night. I started preparing dinner: pizza bagels! After the first bagel was finished it began to rain. By the time dinner was comple, it was pouring. We were hungry and sat cooking and eating in the pouring rain. Classic case of our good luck. It was worth it though; those bagels were damn good. We secured our food for the night and changed out of our now soaked clothes. After crawling into the tent, we realized our "3-man" tent had us in for a very cozy night.

The thunder was rolling over a relentless rain. Fortunately, Meighan and I make quite the dynamic. Our antics had us laughing all night. It was that night we came up with our team motto: "All holes, no poles!" It was my first backpacking trip without any males. It was nice. We were all really proud of what we had accomplished as a team of women. And just as important, we were having fun despite the weather.

We woke up quite early to a chilly overcast sky. Bummer. It looked like the overpaid weather man was wrong again. We decided to stick around camp to see if the weather would improve. After putting on a couple extra layers of clothes, we made blueberry pancakes and a community bottle of super hot, extra chocolatety, hot cocoa. After breakfast, we decided not to move camp and to just do some day hiking. We followed a trail along the water. It was beautiful.

As we hiked, blue skies alternated with dark storm clouds.

It came to a point where there were no more blue skies and the temperature was dropping. We decided a cold night with no way to make a campfire wasn't our idea of fun. We ate lunch hoping the weather would improve. It didn't. It was time to stop pushing our luck, so we packed up camp and headed to the car. Thank goodness we did because it stormed just minutes into our drive.

Although we were bummed our trip was cut short, we had an awesome time.

Our next trip is set for July.

Go team 219!

I don't have much to say about Special Olympics other than it is my most rewarding experience of the year. I help plan the summer games all winter then head track staging for the Summer Games. Unfortunately, my committee position doesn't allow me to see much of the competition. I did manage to get away for a few minutes here and there. It is hard to articulate the experience. So, I'll finish with these images:

Everyone has a chance to make a difference in the life of someone else. Every year, Special Olympics gives me that chance.

Thank you to all the athletes, parents, and coaches who have made such an impact on my life. Eight years and counting!

Heads Turned for: "Why do I even bother with plans?"

 

Blogger Scott said ... (3:48 PM) : 

Glad that you made the best of your trip. Looks like a beautiful place! If you ever find your way up North let me know, there are so many great places to camp and hike in.

Great work on the Special Olympics too dude.

Scott

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:33 PM) : 

Wow, you're such an adventurous, active young woman. No wonder you look so fit! Keep up the good work. Sounds like you had a good time camping!

 

Blogger Paula D. said ... (4:50 PM) : 

Good post! Luv the pics :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 AM) : 

YOu surley have been busy. With the camera I would guess that you made a good choice...I used to "work" with Sony cameras and they had pretty good results until I got my Olympus camera.
Other then that you have a lot of stuff going on what looks like lot of fun...keep us updated :)

 

Blogger The Sarccastik Variable Why said ... (10:01 AM) : 

looked like u had fun...

 

Blogger Stephen A. Bess said ... (3:23 PM) : 

Nice pictures! Congrats on the new camera. I wonder when I will grow tired of mine.

 

Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said ... (2:05 AM) : 

You're having one adventure after another. Good for you! Good post and photos. Enjoy your camera. God bless you for your work with Special Olympics.

 

Blogger Masood Ahmed said ... (1:39 PM) : 

Adventurous soul!!Having great time too. Nice to hear that you have bought the new camera. I wish I could go for camoing here but we do not have much culture of going out here in Sindh, Pakistan due to various reasons.

 

Blogger Johnnie Avocado said ... (2:26 PM) : 

Man...you stay busy!!!

 

Blogger crallspace said ... (2:38 PM) : 

Looks like a fun time.

Great sex can be had in the wilderness.

 

Blogger brooklyn babe said ... (4:42 PM) : 

Looks like a good time, had by all, looking at pics.
Thank you for your kind words.

- Bk Babe

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:35 AM) : 

I too need a new camera. I am thinking about getting one with at least 5Megs and 10X optical zoom, so I can take better photos and enlarge them.

Love those nature pics!

 

Blogger princessdominique said ... (7:21 AM) : 

Man I want to hang out with you. It looks like so much fun!

 

Blogger Brea said ... (11:20 AM) : 

Scott:
I would LOVE to do some backpacking in Canada. Maybe someday...

Kat:
I think I made a good choice. It is a newer model of my old camera. I was very happy with my old one, just wanted something a bit smaller.

Crallspace:
I've never tried it actually, for now I'll take your word for it.

Stunner:
My last camera was 5 megapixels and I was very happy with the picture quality. I just wanted the camera itself to be a bit smaller so I can take it everywhere with ease.

Everyone:
I did have a great time, I always do. Backpacking is my zen. If you've never spent a night in the great outdoors, I highly recommend it. Just make sure you stay safe by going with someone who has experience. Also, thanks you for commending me for my work with Special Olympics. I consider myself lucky enough to have the opportunity to volunteer my time. You can too, just find your local Special Olympics on the web and volunteer your time. Thanks for stopping by!

 

Blogger kathi said ... (2:26 PM) : 

I think this is my favorite post of yours. I got to know you better in this post than I have the entire time I've been reading you.
I love the camera, love the pics and love the story about your trip and the special olympics.
You're a force to be reckoned with.

 

Blogger Brotha Buck said ... (6:22 PM) : 

Congratz on the new camera. Camping is so fun! We just looked at tents and camping equipment yesterday.

 

Blogger Rose said ... (11:45 PM) : 

You are so amazing. You get to do so many things you love to do while many of us are still trying to figure it out. That's wonderful
to give your time to the Special Olympics. Congratulations on finding that camera. 8.1 pixels, I need one like that.

 

Blogger VerseOne said ... (9:54 AM) : 

that's cool. the fact that you are so involved in so many things is inspirational.

peace.

 

Blogger Meadow said ... (10:07 AM) : 

You are the first Black person I've ever heard of who actually enjoys camping. I thought we had a genetic aversion to it. Heehee.

Nice camera! Congratulations!

 

Blogger Bougie Black Boy said ... (11:46 AM) : 

you went to West Virginia? my homestate? i'm jealous... wasn't backpacking there wonderfully gorgeous? this is a great time of year... where are you from, anyway?

 

Blogger Sangindiva said ... (6:40 AM) : 

WOW!
Brea you have such an interesting life!
I'm so jealous. The camera is fabu! 8.1 pix huh?
wow! I seriously need a new camera.
The hiking and camping looked really fun despite
the weather. And the special Olympics? It seems like
it was rewarding. I know the athletes love and appreciate you.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Bougie:
Yes I went to WV and it was gorgeous as always. I'm originally from S. California but have lived most of my life in Maryland.

 

post a comment