Tuesday, April 25, 2006

What is wrong with people?!

Sunday started out looking terribly bleak; it was rainy and gloomy. I dragged myself out of bed and went an hour late to my lunch date. By the time lunch was finished, the sun was shining brightly and there was no hint of the morning gloom. My friend and I put on our walking shoes and left our cell phones in the house as we spent six hours walking around downtown, occasionally stopping at small shops and cafes. It was a fantastic day spent walking and talking with one of my best friends. After discussing every little detail of what was going on in each others lives, I drove home with a sense of peace I hadn't felt in a long while. I was completely oblivious that Sunday was also a day of senseless violence. Monday morning, phone calls and e-mails brought me crashing down from my cloud as I learned the events of Sunday afternoon- the very same day I felt as if everything was finally right in my little world.

My friend's sister was gunned down Sunday around noon in Baltimore. She was 25 years old, six months pregnant, and at the wrong place at the wrong time. The friend she was with was also killed. Three lives were lost that day, as efforts to save her unborn child failed.

Not far away, later that afternoon in D.C., another friend's husband was shot point blank in the chest while loading his truck. For landscaping equipment, he is in the hospital fighting for his life.

Tomorrow I have a job interview for the job I am so eager to get. Before I go, I will call my friend to ask how her husband is doing in his battle to stay alive. After the interview, I will drive to the viewing of my other friend's sister. Then I have to go to work. There will be no joy in my heart tomorrow, as the day I have been so looking forward to has been tainted by tragedy. Please pray for the family and friends affected by this weekend's events.

Heads Turned for: "What is wrong with people?!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 AM) : 

Ohh men that...that is really cruel! Hopefully at least the other guy you know will survive it. Unfortunatly sometimes such cruel things happen...

 

Blogger Scott said ... (9:13 AM) : 

I am so sorry to hear this. I can't wrap my head around what would ever possess someone to shoot another person. I am so sad for your loss.

Scott

 

Blogger Stephen A. Bess said ... (2:08 PM) : 

That is a horrible tragedy! The thought of losing loved ones is a scary thought. God bless the families and friends. God bless you.

 

Blogger Masood Ahmed said ... (4:04 PM) : 

I feel so sorry. I never expect such a violance happening in US.

 

Blogger Bougie Black Boy said ... (6:16 PM) : 

Been a while since I've come here. But this took me aback. Wasn't expecting it. Not sure exactly how to comment on this. Yet, your words struck a chord in all of us.

 

Blogger Drea Inspired said ... (6:51 PM) : 

that is alot going on...

I'll send one up for your friend and her husband...I hope your job interview went well.

Peace and Blessings.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

omg... :(

my prayers go to both families... i hope they have strengths go to thru this difficult time...

 

Blogger Rose said ... (3:21 AM) : 

Sadly this kind of violence is happening all across the world. Too bad folks don't mind taking the lives of others. I have said a silent prayer for your friends and also you.

 

Blogger MZPEACH said ... (3:57 PM) : 

I read this a last week. Sorry to hear about your losses. I hope that everyone is continuing to be strong. I especially hope that your sister is hanging in there.

 

Blogger MZPEACH said ... (3:59 PM) : 

Oops, I meant your friend.

 

post a comment