Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Kicking the winter blahs

I usually hibernate in the winter. Leaving the house ONLY when it is absolutely necessary. This results in low energy and motivation, but I have maintained this strategy because....well, the bottom line is I spend less time out in the cold. This year I have employed a new strategy. One that will help me keep the high energy I have the rest of the year. That's right, I've decided that 2009 is the year I kick the winter blahs.

Strategy #1: Start a running program - outside in the cold. Ah!!! I have to give myself a pep talk every time it is time to go running. Part of my brain screams, "Do you realize how cold it is out there? Can you stop and think about how crazy this is?" while the other half is speaking logically, "It's less than an hour and you'll be right back inside. Plus you'll feel great after it is all over!" My guess is this battle will continue until I am no longer allergic to the cold of winter. But I tell you, it is a great exercise in determination. After I get started, the one part of my brain stops screaming and it is logic that gets me through the workout. Over the weeks I have paid less attention to the negative thoughts and the running program is working well. My program is interval training that increases intensity over the course of 8 weeks. Running outside really isn't that bad and I think it is helping desensitize me to the cold. I've wanted for 2 years now, to train for a half marathon. I just haven't been disciplined enough to stick to a rigorous training program. I think this winter program, while training my body, is helping me develop the mental toughness I'll need to train for a half marathon this spring. Yay!


Strategy #2: Yoga Class and Kung Fu. While yoga is a class I take year-round, Kung Fu is something new for me. I'll admit I have only been to one class. First it was the craziness of the holidays and now it has been a couple social engagements. The one class was challenging and fun so I can see myself getting into it, I just need to hit a rhythm and start going consistently. Effectiveness TBD....


Strategy #3: African drum and dance classes. A little online search yielded a studio right by my job. I'm not good at choreographed dancing, but hey I'm having fun and who knows I may look like I have a left and right foot by spring!


Strategy #4: Find a new job. I have been at my job for 3 years now. I'm bored. I have gotten all the promotions I wanted and know the company inside out. It is time to move on to something challenging and stimulating. I have been on a couple of interviews and landed a part-time gig. Now I am just applying to full-time places that look like I'd be challenged. I know if I stay diligent, I will find something amazing.


So there we have it. I am intentionally trying new things to keep myself out of winter hibernation. I feel much better than usual this time of year. So I think it is working!

Heads Turned for: "Kicking the winter blahs"

 

Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said ... (11:23 AM) : 

OMG, you're back! Cool!

You have some great strategies/ goals. You've also given ME some ideas. Thanks. :-)

 

Blogger Friar Tuck said ... (12:09 PM) : 

Well done. You are so proactive! Much better than me!

 

Blogger Stephen A. Bess said ... (12:14 PM) : 

Good luck on that new job search and good to see you.

 

Blogger Jeni Angel said ... (12:39 PM) : 

Good to have you back!

I LOVE your winter plan. I maybe need to think of coming up with of those since I feel the same way about winter.

 

Blogger Scott said ... (1:17 PM) : 

First of all, welcome back I am trying to do this winter running thing as well. So far, not so much. Maybe after this crazy cold snap breaks I will be game,

Scott

 

Blogger Johnnie Avocado said ... (1:24 PM) : 

you go Brea......if you get some of that cold weather Under Armour...running in the cold is easy. just carry some chapstick!

 

Blogger Meka said ... (8:50 PM) : 

I stay inside when it's cold as well. My brain doesn't function in 20 degree weather. Stategy #4 is Strategy #1 for me... for the same exact reason. I haven't been challenged at my job in a while. Good luck to you on all fronts!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:40 PM) : 

Glad to hear from you and to see you are back!

Having a regular exercise programme is a great idea and mixing and trying new programmes keeps you interested in exercise! All the best with your endeavor to keep fit!

 

Blogger S A J Shirazi said ... (10:47 PM) : 

Werlcome back.

 

Blogger crallspace said ... (12:55 AM) : 

Keep it up... it's a good way to avoid the winter blues.

How you been? I haven't heard from you in forever!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 AM) : 

Hey there, did hear from you in a while. I moved on to a new blog since the birth of our daughter ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 AM) : 

Do you have daily that type of programe?
Can I know how you manege it?


RITA PIT

Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

 

post a comment