Tuesday, March 13, 2007

2006 Reflection

In my last post I asked the question: What does the start of a new year mean to you?

The answers I received were as diverse as the individuals who read this blog. Thank you for your responses. I've also asked myself the same question. To me, the start of the new year is a time for reflection and . . . Well, I have yet to figure out the next part if indeed there is one. I can tell you with certainty that the start of the new year is a time for reflection, that I am sure of. How often are we too busy to reflect on our own lives: our motives, actions, feelings, joys, and pains? Too often. I've been silent the last few months reflecting. Just reading over my New Years post from last year is evidence of how much I have grown in the last year. 2006 was an amazing year. Here are the highlights:


  • January was spent recovering from the holiday madness. By February, I was ready to get out and meet new people. I took my first (and only) stab at internet dating. Although it wasn't a match made in heaven, I ended up making a really good friend. He introduced me to Rainbow and as a result, I drove across the U.S. in June to attend my first Rainbow Gathering. It is a week I will spend among "family" for the rest of my life. A week that reminds me of the things that I sometimes forget in my day to day: the awesome beauty of nature, the importance of community, and the strength of the human spirit.



  • March was spent searching for a creative community. Unfortunately, I never found the group I was searching for. I did, however, explore parts of this city I hadn't before and in the process rediscovered my love for live music. I spent the remainder of the year attending as many live music events that time and money would allow.

    Open Mic Night



  • In April, I reconnected with an old high school friend. We have since had a great time getting to know each other all over again. Good, lifelong friends are hard to find. I can say with certainty this is one I won't lose touch with again.

    Fiesta!



  • May began a great outdoor recreation season. I went kayaking and backpacking several times.


    I finally completed my gear collection with a Mountain Hardwear tent. Being the huge gear nerd that I am, this was a very exciting moment.

    Campsite



  • June brought along Special Olympics Maryland Summer Games. I ran the track staging for the 8th consecutive year. I was once again fortunate enough to spend a weekend with the athletes, families, and coaches who inspire me every year.

    Awards Ceremony



  • Also in June, I cut my hair. I’ve wanted to try a short hair cut for years. My ex-boyfriend hated the idea. Not wanting to hear his mouth, I never cut it. Then, one day this summer, I decided to forgo the normal trim and cut my hair. It was liberating and I absolutely love it! What do you think?

    When I got home and looked in the mirror at my new hair cut for the first time, I knew I had finally let go. Let go of a broken heart, hurt feelings, and a plaguing emptiness. I knew at that moment, I had completely healed from the relationship with my ex-boyfriend. Although I did some dating, I still had an emotional tie with my ex that wasn't allowing me to move on. It took much of the year to finally let go. But I finally did it!! In fact, new year's eve was spent throwing away old letters and gifts. I kept only the pictures. He played a significant and important role in my past. Now I can say with absolute certainty that he has no place in my future. It feels amazing to have that heaviness lifted from my head and heart. In fact, so much so, I let someone get close without reservation. For the first time, I let someone else into my life and home. It was scary, but I did it! And I'm not looking back.



  • I was able to spend a lot of quality time with my family this year.

    Father's Day

    Speaking of family, let's not forget that
    I caught this biggest fish on this years' fishing trip!



  • Pop Quiz: Where has this suburb dwelling, outdoor loving girl always wanted to live? Any guesses on what great news is next? I moved downtown!!!! Yay! Everything finally fell into place at the end of the summer. My rent is super cheap, my house super cute and the location is super ideal. All together super. We live in an area of Baltimore City called Canton.


    I absolutely love it. It is one block to the water, two blocks to a park or fitness trail, walking distance to shopping and nightlife, and only steps away to the dog park . . . .
    . . . . Which brings me to one of the hardest decisions of my life: I surrendered Trek. Underlying health issues caused severe aggression and dramatic behavior changes - it was scary and unpredictable. He never showed any aggression toward me or my family, but my friends and strangers became a threat to him. We had several close calls and at 90+ lbs, I was afraid that he would harm someone. I did all I could do to try to resolve his behavior issues; I consulted vets and two animal behaviorists. At his final evaluation, the behaviorist said it was only a matter of time before he bit someone and if it were her dog, she would have him put down. It was a devastating blow and a dose of reality that took me weeks to swallow. The last straw was when he tried to attack a friend he had previously met and loved only weeks before. I could no longer keep him in good conscience. After taking him to the ASPCA, I cried for days. Often, I still tear up when I talk about him. Anyone who knows me knows how much I loved Trek and what a difficult decision it was. But I had to do the right thing. The rescue director said to me, "sometimes the wiring is wrong and there is nothing you did or could have done". She’s right, but the loss of Trek is still very painful. The first few days I came home looking for a dog that would never be there to greet me ever again. My daily routine changed drastically as I no longer had the responsibility of pet ownership. A responsibility I would give anything to have once again for a happy healthy Trek. He was my welcome home committee, my moving breathing dress up doll,


my hiking partner,



my four-legged wrecking crew,



my Olympic swimmer,



my comic relief,



my running and walking partner,



my heart,



but most of all . . . . my friend.



I miss you...


Big Bad Trek



  • I hate to conclude on such a sad note..... So on a brighter note, although not without challenges, this year was full of joy and new discoveries:

I moved to a large city and discovered little things I never would have had I not made the move. Like the downtown farmers market,


Farmers Market


where I discovered there are many different types of honey - not just the one that comes in a little bear at the grocery store.



I've also discovered that the Canton waterside park has a beautiful view at night.



And, that Patterson Park has a pagoda with an awesome spiral staircase



and an awesome view of the city.


Park View


I competed in my first mud wrestling tournament,



where my roommate and I kicked ass!


Round Two!


I threw one of my best friends an awesome bachelorette party and participated in her wedding.




I created a tradition of "Monday Night Dinner" with two of my best friends - a time of yummy food and girl talk before tackling the week ahead.


Birthday Dinner


I trained for and raced in my first 5K in years and placed in the top 19%. It motivated me to begin training for longer distances with the goal of completing a half marathon this year.



I had an amazing theme party for my birthday. It was a true "fiesta" all the way down to the piñata attended by my closest friends.



I spent Christmas on the first family vacation in years in beautiful West Palm Beach Florida.




I have come so far, but there is so much further to go. Like I always say, life is about learning. Life is just one lesson after another. Sometimes you have to retake the same lesson over and over again. Then it happens. One day, your perspective and life experience comes together to teach you the lesson you have failed to understand so many times before. 2006 was full of lessons learned through many tears and much laughter. I am learning the power of silence and reflection. I am so thankful for the experiences and relationships that taught me so much this year. Here's to 2007!


Heads Turned for: "2006 Reflection"

 

Blogger Stephen A. Bess said ... (12:28 PM) : 

Great pictures. You've been busy. :)
I'm sorry about your dog. He looks like he was a great dog. Peace~

 

Blogger VerseOne said ... (5:49 PM) : 

whats going on Ms? thanks for stopping by, it's good to here from you. i have been on a bit of an hiatus, just not so inspired to post my writings. plus i'm out of the country and internet is a pain to get onto.

i too am sorry for your loss, i can tell from your old post how much of a friend he was to you.

great post i love change. upward and onward.


peace.

 

Blogger Cherise said ... (11:06 PM) : 

Brea,

As I read your blog I've realized that you're one of the most amazing, well rounded women I know. Your zest for life is an inspiration to all, especially myself!! I can relate to you in so many ways... the pain, the ups and downs.. the thirst for something new and exciting.. the fear of letter go... but with Life comes change.. and in order to experience and fulfill all of our desires we must let go and move on! Stay free, friend.. One day will definitely HAVE TO TAKE an adventure together...
Love your blog-friend,
Cherise

 

Blogger Scott said ... (1:50 PM) : 

First and foremost, thanks so much for stopping by my blog again. So glad to hear from you.

I am so sorry that you had to put Trek down. I can imagine how hard that was for you and you are brave for making such a difficult decision. Heartbreaking stuff that is!

Hope that this year is a great one for you though.

 

Blogger AsianSmiles said ... (9:20 PM) : 

Gee BB, you've gone a long way..

First, I'm so sorry about Trek. You almost brought me to tears, had it not for the positive tone of your post, I would have cried (you know that I dont easily cry don't u? *wink*).

Secondly, I MUST congratulate you for finally saying that you said adios to the bitter memories of your ex, it takes a lot of courage to put a closure on memories (ending a relationship is MUCH easier than saying bye to memories).

And finally, I am so proud of you girl, you are such a responsible and wise young woman.

Love you girl, and here's a toast to your future!

 

Blogger AsianSmiles said ... (9:23 PM) : 

Ooops.. I forgot. I DO love your short hair! And ironically, I had the feeling that cutting it short is symbolic. Freedom and peace of mind!

*wink*

 

Blogger Brotha Buck said ... (12:13 AM) : 

Glad you're back, Brea. And, as usual, living life to the fullest.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 PM) : 

It is amazing how much you did over the course of the year. It shows that a year is not that short after all, if you can do that much. =) Carpe diem is definitely lived up to here.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. But I'm sure you'll always have great memories of him. =)

Hope you grab 2007 by the lemons as you did with 2006!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:02 PM) : 

Nice photos and glad to see you back in blogsville.

Sorry to hear about Trek.

Thanks for checking out my photoblog.

 

Blogger nosthegametoo said ... (11:26 AM) : 

Thank you for sharing details of your life. You certainly had a full 2006.

I hope you continue to be blessed in 2007.

 

Blogger Edz said ... (3:22 PM) : 

Hi Brea, thanks for stopping at my blog.
Your 2006 has been interesting and exciting.
Hopefully 2007 will/is better and you go back to blogging again. I do miss reading you.

 

Blogger Bougie Black Boy said ... (5:01 PM) : 

I miss coming to your blog and you to mine. I see you have some great pics here. You and your beau (?) look sultry. . . Hope things are going well your way.

 

Blogger Friar Tuck said ... (3:22 PM) : 

It is good to hear about all that is going on. I love listening to you talk about your life. Such passion for living is refreshing to see and here!

 

Blogger Sangindiva said ... (6:47 PM) : 

First let me say I LOOOOOVE the haircut!
and I'm soo glad you got a new camera! doesn't it make blogging so much netter?! LOL!
You LIVE and that is so awsome :)
Your life inspires mine- Thank you!

 

Blogger Rose said ... (8:54 PM) : 

I love your story and pictures. So sorry about Trek. What a wonderful year in review. To know thyself after these lessons learned is wonderful.

 

post a comment