Friday, January 20, 2006

Is it spring yet?

Did I ever tell you how much I hate winter? Posted by Picasa

I was told growing up not to use the word "hate" because it is a very strong word. I HATE winter. I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT!!!! I took Trek to the dog park earlier this week. I was all suited up: Gore-Tex winter boots, long johns under my jeans, layered tops, Columbia jacket, fleece double lined head warmer, and gloves. All that just to take the dog to the park and I was still cold. (**insert obscene profanities here**) Okay, I just had to get that off my chest. Moving on...

We are nearly a month into 2006 and I have yet to write my "New Years post". Okay, so here it is. First I'll recap 2005. I could look at it two ways:
  1. NEGATIVE: Other than April, May, & part of June, 2005 sucked. In fact, the sooner I forget it ever happened, the better.
  2. POSITIVE: 2005 was a difficult year, there is no denying that. I showed amazing strength and revealed big weaknesses as well. It is neither good nor bad, it just is. As with all the years before it, 2005 allowed me to get to know myself better. In the end, amazing things happened last year that I wouldn't trade for the world. Here are the highlights: [P E O P L E] Two major chapters closed: a 4+ year romantic relationship and 10+ year friendship ended in 2005. It was time and I am thankful for all the years that we shared. I met lots of new people last year that I may never had if I'd still been in a relationship. Lots of casual friends and one life-long one. [P L A C E S] I went backpacking!!!!!! And I made friends that are into all of the outdoor sports I love. There are amazing trips in the works for this summer. :) I also moved back to my hometown. Although I'd be happier living somewhere else, it lessened the financial burden and allowed me to heal. In essence it has been a break from the "real world" and a much need one at that! [T H I N G S] I have a completely new wardrobe. After years of "dressing down" for an insecure boyfriend, I found I really enjoy dressing up. While not mainstream, I've found my own unique style that expresses my femininity.

That was a prime example of how easy it is to be negative. There is always a way to put a positive spin on things, sometimes it just takes more effort. Another important part of 2005 was blogging. It served as both a creative and an emotional outlet for me. There were many times when I couldn't articulate my feelings anywhere else but on this blog. Here is a recap of my blogging year by the first sentence of each month's entry.

Recap complete.

From the feedback I got on 100 Things and what I have seen on other blogs, most people make resolutions for the new year. Some people delay the timing or call it by a different name - but they all seem like resolutions to me. I made resolutions last year and completed them all except for 'get back into road racing'. I think I got a bit overzealous with that one. I have a short list of resolutions for 2006:

  • Find my inner strength.
  • Finish my degree.
  • Get a Brazilian bikini wax.
  • Try a different approach to relationships: with my head instead of my heart.
  • Spend more time alone.
  • Go on at least three backpacking trips.
  • Take a vacation.
  • I am getting that new camera!!!
  • Learn how to play at least a children's song on guitar.
  • Get back into road racing. (HA HA HA!!)

I have a good feeling about this year ;)

Smiley for the Day:

Heads Turned for: "Is it spring yet?"

 

Blogger Miz JJ said ... (2:47 PM) : 

You should get a Brazillian, but just make sure you buy some tend skin (www.tendskin) or a product similar to that to avoid ingrown hairs and razor bumps. Trust me I didn't the first time and the pain of the re-growth was much worse than the actual Brazillian.

 

Blogger Meadow said ... (3:38 PM) : 

Hey, Brea! Welcome back to blogland! :)

I love what you said about putting a spin on things. Sometimes that's all it takes to make the smile creep back.

I love winter. But I've lived in southern California most of my life, so technically, I've never experienced *true* winter. ;)

Happy New Year!

 

Blogger Jeni Angel said ... (4:39 PM) : 

Excellent resolutions-I am always amazed at how wonderfully introspective you are and how open you are to growing and experiencing life.

Not many people take the time and the effort to grow like you do-that is wonderful.

 

Blogger Friar Tuck said ... (9:14 PM) : 

Are you coming out here for your vacation?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:19 AM) : 

Don't envy your temperature at all.
A brazillian wax, I hear that shit hurts nuh ra..!

 

Blogger Chinonye O. aka SincereCaramel said ... (12:14 PM) : 

We have the same spirit my friend. 05' was a tough year for me too. I think I might have learned all of the lessons that you did. Cold? I don't believe in cold weather and live in the south for that reason. Brazilian wax? Aren't people scared of ingrowns? Could you imagine? Sorry.

 

Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said ... (8:49 PM) : 

Three things:

1. Welcome back, girl!
2. Buy thermal underwear. :-)
3. 2006 is definitely your year.

(((Hugs)))

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 PM) : 

Okay, I skimmed through the comments and had a chuckle on the one with thermal underwear, hehe!

Wow, Brazilian wax! You go, brave girl! o0;;

We graduate the same year! Isn't that interesting? =) Good luck with your degree! What do you major in by the way?

It's good that you're starting the year off with a lot of determination. I hope it carries through the rest of your year! =) Stay happy this 2006!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 AM) : 

2005 was a great year for me..one of the best I think. To bad 2006 isnt starting out so good. Its only january and I found out Im crazy and the world is going to end (ha ha)

 

Blogger feels good b n FREE said ... (3:37 PM) : 

i hate winter too!!

and quite an intersting blog year there huh?? lol

ttyl

 

Blogger Brea said ... (9:17 PM) : 

Miz JJ:
Thanks for the advice - ingrown hairs does not sound like any fun!!

DIVA:
I'll take two shots! LMAO!

I hope 2006 gets better - you've been through enough!

Goddess:
Oh to have never experienced a "true winter"....

Jeni:
Wow - thanks!

Friar Tuck:
There's an idea...

Stunner:
The envy is all here.

Sincerecaramel:
That's it - I need to move!!! I never gave much thought to ingrown hairs - but maybe I should. I am more concerned about the pain of waxing!

DCS:
Thanks hun!

Marz:
I'm a psychology major.

Tu s. Tin:
Yikes!

DRC:
Yeah, it was quite a year!

 

Blogger Drea Inspired said ... (9:36 PM) : 

i love the winter, but we haven't much of a winter in georgia.

i think the consensus is that 2005 sucked...here's to a great '06!

 

Blogger Friar Tuck said ... (11:19 PM) : 

Have you ever thought about getting a 30 day Amtrack pass.

By the way...vacation possibilities for me and my friends just opened up in a whole new way. Dad is buying a condo in Mazatlan MX

 

Blogger Fahd Mirza said ... (12:11 AM) : 

I dont have the words to describe how much I abhor the winter. Those biting cold winds, ice-cold nights, shivering days, rains, storms, every-thing-wet, shrinking people, bad tempers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 AM) : 

oh yeaaa... brazillian wax, girl!!!!!! go for it... and tell us about it... :D well, actually i was thinking to have 1, too, but i'm still too chicken to do that... hmm... it's gonna be soon though... :D

and wow!!! the tips from Miz JJ 'n DIVA are pretty good... i should make a note as well! hahahaha

 

Blogger Joanne said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Hey lady-

There's so much in this post, but kudos on reflecting on 2005, the good and the bad. 2006 will be better!

I HATE winter too, and I am also in Maryland. And, I have to at least be fair and say that it hasn't been tooooo bad this winter so far, and I'm hoping it stays that way. Well, in Southern Maryland, anyway. Not sure where you are!

 

Blogger Aud*2020 said ... (12:10 PM) : 

A Brazilian bikini wax? Are you nuts??? lol...actually, I haven't had one so I can't say much. Just sounds quite painful from what I've heard about them.

Sounds like October started off a good month for you. Overall, '05 sucked for me, too. Yay for a new year!

I, too, am a winter HATER. Fortunately it's not been too bad here, but even 40 degrees is still too cold for me!

 

Blogger AsianSmiles said ... (1:45 PM) : 

BB Hi!

So glad to see you're back! Great plans for 2006, I'm sure you'll make it! Goodluck!

did I miss it? did you say you'll smile more often at the gorgeous guy that goes to your workplace regularly? j/k!!! *winks, winks & hugs*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 AM) : 

love ya blog...kinda quirky and weird....keep doing it like no other

 

Blogger princessdominique said ... (11:27 AM) : 

Great recap. I like that. I'm too lazy to do something like it though. I hate winter too. You couldn't tell I was born here though. Must be the Bajan blood running through me.

 

Blogger Abreu, Jorge said ... (1:48 PM) : 

I'm sure your new year will be better than the last. You sound like you've made some good progress though painful.

 

Blogger brooklyn babe said ... (2:41 PM) : 

A brazilian wax.... OUCH!!!! I use to have my ex give his version, but hey that's a whole 'nother blog... lol!

Peace
bk babe

 

Blogger nikki said ... (10:41 PM) : 

really, that brazilian wax thing must be your attempt to inflict pain upon yourself. LOL

glad you made it through a tough year. 2006 will bring you many blessings, i'm sure.

 

Blogger Theresa said ... (9:19 AM) : 

I love your positive approach and openness to new things. You're inspirational.

 

Blogger Pirate said ... (1:30 PM) : 

i hate cold and hot as well. i do love Brazilian bikini shaves though.

 

Blogger crallspace said ... (3:36 PM) : 

While winter in ORegon is different than what I am used to, I still like winter.

Fall is my favorite.

 

Blogger Rose said ... (11:59 PM) : 

This is a great post. A great recap of your past year. You have some interesting goals. I would like to try that guitar thing myself.

 

Blogger Anhoni Patel said ... (4:48 PM) : 

Awesome list. I only get brazilian. Once you pop, you just can't stop.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (1:47 PM) : 

Brownsoul:
Lucky you! We can trade places for the winter - I wouldn't want you to miss out! ;)

Friar Tuck:
Thanks for the idea - excellent!

Fahd Mirza:
Yup!

'ka:
I'll definitely share the experience when I get up the nerve.

Joanne:
You are right, winter in MD as a whole has not been bad this year. However, there have been some bitter days and nights and one is too much for me!

Double Oh No:
I am nuts. You haven't figured that out yet? ;)

Asian Smiles:
I wish we had a gorgeous guy at my workplace!!! LOL!

Yazmar:
Thanks, I think...

Princess Dominique:
Glad you enjoyed the recap - it took a lot longer than I anticipated.

Curious1:
Long time no see.

Brooklyn Babe:
Yes that IS another blog! LMAO!!

Nikki:
Not exactly, more of an attempt to lighten my daily maintenance load.

Theresa:
Thanks!

Pirate:
What man doesn't love 'em? LMAO!

Crallspace:
Since you love it so much, you can have winter - seriously.

Rose:
Thanks for stopping by!

Anhoni:
That's what I hear....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 PM) : 

You're not the only one who's late with her resoultions. It's almost summer and I'm just getting started on mine. Right up on top of the list is a Brazilian bikini wax for me too. It's time to hit the beach and I don't want to be scaring anyone with those stray curly pubes poking out.

Keisha
Brazilian Bikini Hair Remover

 

post a comment