Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Body Modification

Orginially posted on 100 Things, Friday, December 02, 2005:
If you think about it, nearly everyone has modified their body in some way. Perhaps it is something permanent like a tattoo or something temporary like makeup or hair color. It can be something simple like an ear piercing or something major requiring surgery. I believe each modification, whether major or subtle, says something about the person.

For me it is piercing. I have three piercings in each ear, with an additional cartilage piercing in one. I also have my belly button pierced. To the relief of my family, I have no plans to get anything else pierced. I am content expressing myself through the piercings I have.

In what ways have you modified your body? Does it serve as a form of expression? What does it say about you? If you haven't made any body modifications, are you considering any? What does it say about you?

New Addition: Ink

I never thought I'd get a tattoo. I have nothing against them, don't think they look trashy, don't find them a violation of "God's temple", and don't find the fact that a tattoo is relatively permanent intimidating. Afterall, life is short and having something permanently on my skin is not on my list of things to be preoccupied with. Besides, tattoos are no longer permanent with modern laser treatments. I just never thought of anything I'd want inked on my skin. That is until I was watching an episode of Miami Ink with my roommate one evening. (This is why I don't watch TV, I don't need anymore great ideas...) Watching the show made me see how tattoos can be an incredibly powerful form of self expression. It can go far beyond the pretty butterfly so many people have tattooed without giving it much thought. Tattoos can honor a loved one, symbolize a turning point in one's life, have religious or cultural significance - the list goes on.... Watching Miami Ink showed me that a well thought out and executed tattoo is in fact, a work of art. At the very instant I came to this realization, this image popped into my mind:


I'm getting my first tattoo. I want a single zebra running with the woman in the zebra suit riding it.

I am going to see a well-known tattoo artist in the area for a consultation in the upcoming week.

Any guesses as to the meaning of the tattoo I want???

Heads Turned for: "Body Modification"

 

Blogger Friar Tuck said ... (3:19 PM) : 

I think tatoos are often a way of branding an experience or a time in your life so that a person or experience is a permanent part of you. In our culture, it is a way of establishing a memorial, or in someways even an altar, into your flesh.

 

Blogger Jeni Angel said ... (3:26 PM) : 

I think tattoos that mean something are the kind that are never regretful. I have two small stars on my wrist. I got them at different times-they represent my nephews, whom I live for.

The tattoo on my ankle I got with my sister. It is the celtic symbol for sisterly love. We both have it. I love how these tattoos tie me to my family.

I can't WAIT to see yours!!

 

Blogger Paula D. said ... (11:37 AM) : 

Girl, I used to have 2 holes in each ear but I let one close up.....I kinda want it back. I'm scared to get anything else pierced. Can't wait to see your new tattoo! That lady on the zebra idea is really neat.

 

Blogger AsianSmiles said ... (6:40 PM) : 

modifications...hmm... i kinda thought we need a bit of a "wild" side in us to get 'modified'. an attitude that says we're willing to go beyond the conventional thinking. i had a nose bridge some years back, but since it was a necessity, it doesn't make much of a statement then and now.

i don't wear much makeup, i color my hair dark brown to cover the grays. so again, it doesn't say much about me.

but i do WANT and sometimes, NEED to have a tattoo on my lower back because i'm sure it'll make me feel more "validated". i like my lower back and i want to accentuate it. i like tattoos because it is "permanent", it's like saying, i made a lifetime decision and i'm proud of it! it also says, "i dared!, "i'm different!, "this is me!" to me, a tattoo is a great way of expressing oneself. i haven't seen a suitable design yet. im imagining something like a knight's swordhandle or a fleur de liz type of art. or a tiger because i enliken myself to one.

a zebra? hmmm. it makes me think that you are a girl with a sophisticated taste, simple but very classy, feminine but very strong and adventurous, someone who knows what you want.

just a guess.

have a good one BB! and thanks for the fun post!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 AM) : 

I only have one hole in each ear. As a teen I had 3 in one but let them close. I'm in my early 40's and I'm thinking of getting a tatoo but too afraid that I may be allergic to the ink since I'm allergic to everything else. If I do I don't exactly know what I want but I think your idea of the zebra is totally different and unique.

Would getting a tatoo give a message to others? For me it would mean I'm acting out doing the things I wished I did when I was younger.

 

Blogger Rose said ... (8:15 PM) : 

Ony pierced my ears in my teen years..since then I haven't done anything else gain weight unintentionly. But I like that Zebra and women thingy. At first glance I thought that was your face on it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 AM) : 

I'm pretty much on the fence for a tattoo. I guess it's because I haven't found a design or idea that I would like for a potential tattoo design. I really like the idea that you have in mind, though. I don't know what it means to you personally (since I only know you from your blog), but I assume it's got something to do with the relationship between humans and animals, that there are traits in animals seen in humans and traits in humans apparent in animals, too? Then again, that's just a wild (no pun intended, LOL!) guess. =)

 

Blogger Claire said ... (2:42 PM) : 

No ideas what yours might mean...but it sounds pretty awesome!

Cxx

 

Blogger kathi said ... (1:50 PM) : 

I have no idea what it means to you, but I've got to tell you, the pictures here are awesome. Don't know where you got them, but they give the feeling of beautiful freedom.

 

post a comment