Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Week of the Kayak

In my world anyway . . .

Yesterday, I went to the kick-off happy hour for the Canton Kayaking Club. Looks promising . . . the membership is large and very diverse. There are 5 different docking stations around the harbor, free classes and group trips. Bonus: there is enough eye candy to keep me occupied for a while ;) In fact, a particular hottie said he'd be looking out for me at Saturday's class! I'm sure I was grinning from ear-to-ear. I'm such a nerd. So yeah, I'm taking kayaking classes this week because my schedule wasn’t jammed packed enough already! Tonight is a skills class and Saturday is a safety course in the training pool. I'm not too jazzed about being seen in a swimsuit . . . but rolling a kayak is so much fun! I'll live.

All that is great, but this was the highlight: I ran into a lady that participated in the scavenger hunt I did this past weekend. She's friends with one of the guys I bonded with that day. She and I didn't have much interaction during the scavenger hunt, but not even five minutes after I walked in the door, she came over to say hello. What a small world! We talked for a while and her life sounds awesome. If I could do just 1/4 of what she's done, I could die happy. She's lived and traveled all over the world. In fact, she just moved to Baltimore 6 weeks ago and already she's involved in all these local activities! Man, I would still be unpacking! NEway . . . an international education program brought her to the area. She's director and as such, plans all kinds of activities for the students ranging from service projects to outdoor adventures to cruises. It sounds so awesome! Listening to her talk got my wheels turning. Maybe I'll retire into a job like that . . . an educator who is well compensated and gets to travel all over the world doing what they love to do. I love to teach - I love to travel - I love the outdoors. I never even considered a career where I could combine all that. Of course I've heard of Outward Bound and other similar education/travel/outdoor programs, but never really considered that as a career. Listening to her somehow made a connection for me. It is definitely something I am going to look into. I'm amazed. I'm really excited to see where things go.
Smiley for the Day:

Heads Turned for: "The Week of the Kayak"

 

post a comment