Sunday, May 08, 2005

Happy Mother's Day?

As you know, the relationship with my mother is strained to put it lightly. One minute she loves me, the next I'm the worse person to have ever walked the face of the Earth. Repeat that for my Dad and brother. She has single-handedly managed to make my entire family miserable over the years. This has been by far, the worst year yet. Fortunately for her, my Dad doesn’t believe in divorce and my brother and I don’t believe in violence. I try to attribute her behavior to her mental illness but often my emotions get in the way. It is hard to have any compassion for a woman who never takes any responsibility and refuses to get help. It pisses me off the way my Dad jumps through hoops to try to make her happy. I try to tell him that no matter what he says or does, it will never be enough - she needs professional help. He's been bending over backwards and sideways for over 18 years - hasn't helped yet! It's so frustrating and things have gotten progressively worse. This year, she missed my brother's family entry in the year book, his senior banner, his prom, and now she doesn't want to have a graduation party for him because she is unhappy. Selfish bitch (sorry, there is no nice way to say it). Fine, she's sick. Okay. Pass the responsibility - I would have been more than happy to make sure our family entry was submitted in time. She said she would handle it. Fine - then handle it. I even gave her the picture and my part of the entry at the very beginning of the school year. Three months is more than enough time. Excuses. Then there was the senior banner. Excuses. Going out of town on the day of his prom - she didn't even come to help pick out his tux. Excuses. I hate excuses. There is no excuse. Then we have the graduation in less than 2 weeks and the invitations haven't even been mailed and she's bitching that my Dad wants to have a party afterwards. You know, she doesn't even need to be there - she can just go shopping and spend hundreds of dollars like she does every other day. We'd have more fun without her anyway! My Dad and I did an excel spreadsheet of all the addresses and names. She's a stay-at-home mom and all she has to do is a mail merge and stamp the damn envelopes. We would do it - but I've got finals coming up and a job - my Dad works 60 hour weeks as it is - my brother works, goes to school and plays sports. She has all freaking day - be a mother and stop being so damn selfish. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Sad thing is we'll probably end up doing it after all. I'm trying not to hate her. I'm not even going to get into the way she treats us - I'm pissed as it is.

Yeah, so shopping for a Mother's Day card was fun. I bought the most generic one I could find. I shouldn't have even wasted the $4 because when my brother and I gave her the cards, she said thank you out the side of her mouth and didn't even read them. Lord, if I am ever anything remotely like her, just put me out of my misery(and everyone elses). I think I'll just white-out Mother's Day on my calendar next year. That being said, my brother and I decided to let her ruin her own day - we were going to enjoy the food! Can we say all-you-can-eat? I think we can.

A Maryland crab's worst nightmare ;0) Posted by Hello


After eating until I could eat no more, I headed over to hang out with Debbie who was in town for Mother's Day. She'd had her own stresses for the day after hanging out with her brother's bazillion kids. We sat on the deck at her parent's house and just chatted for a while.

It was a beautiful sunny day with a nice breeze. We were enjoying the weather and each others company. Then it happened. We're chatting it up and I noticed something dark on her face. I'm thinking, maybe a leaf or something fell from the trees. Yeah well, then it starts moving! It was a spider! My eyes popped out of my head and it took me a minute to form the words to tell her. She casually says, "Oh, really?” Ummmm, yeah really!!! Then she leans forward for me to get it off. I am totally confused and terrified all at the same time. Ok, there is a spider on your face and you are calm. What's that all about? If that were me, I would have jumped off the deck and started to stop, drop, and roll. Now, you want me to get it off?! How? You want me to touch it? Ok, get it together, you would die for Debbie - you can tackle the spider. Get a hold of yourself. So I pulled myself together and brushed it off. I felt a sigh of relief and accomplishment - I had just conquered the spider. That was immediately followed by shear panic. Where is it? Where is the spider? Oh my God, is it on me?! So I jump out of the chair, looking around like a mouse cornered by an alley cat. I spotted it. Yes, I know it is one of God's creatures, but that sucker had to die! And die it did. I was completely paranoid the rest of the afternoon. Every time the breeze brushed my arms I'd jump and my necklace scared me a few times as well. Then I noticed there are like five more spiders all over the deck furniture. Is this a nightmare? What have I done to deserve this?! Fortunately, they all stayed away and so spared their lives. Yikes! Did I mention I am terrified of spiders? Give me snakes, mountain lions, bears . . . just nothing with eight legs.

Quite a day.

Smiley for the Day:

Heads Turned for: "Happy Mother's Day?"

 

Blogger Friar Tuck said ... (1:53 AM) : 

I enjoyed reading over your post today.

I got a compromise thing on the card. Do a computer made free one, and then just spend 40 cents for the postage. That way you wont feel bad, and you wont spend your hard earned money

 

Blogger Brea said ... (2:02 AM) : 

Don Juan de Bubba:

Damn it! What can't I be that smart?! I'm tucking that idea away for next year (should I decide not to white it out on my calendar). Thanks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:59 AM) : 

Hey I was just browsing the Blogs came across yours and I can totally relate..how can mothers be so mean? I struggle with my mom too she is very unhappy and mean. she can be very hurtful adn spiteful to and Its hreally hard trying to please her..anyway its hard to love them. Especially when they are in SUCH NEED FOR PERFESSIONAL HELP!! but I try..every day to love my mom. Heres hoping one day they be both happy in this short life we have here on earth...life can be so much more happier if they were..
Angel..ps cool blog
http://spaces.msn.com/members/thestripedwolfs

 

Blogger Brea said ... (10:10 AM) : 

Angel:

Thanks for stopping by :0) I'm sorry that you can relate to my situation - my heart goes out to you. I find it amazing that we can still love our mothers after all they've put us through. I guess that's what the holiday is all about. Thanks for putting that back in perspective for me.

 

Blogger Don Tate II said ... (10:16 AM) : 

Brea,

I'm so sorry to hear about your relationship with your mom. I do think your dad is doing the right thing, though. Killing her with kindness. He'll be rewarded in the long run, as will your entire family. Mom's probably not going to change, she's set in her ways, but at least you have a great father to kind of balance things off. I feel ya on the spider issue. Anything with eight legs and eight eyes will cause a brotha to scream like a girl.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (3:02 PM) : 

Don:
You are absolutely right - I have a great father who I am very grateful for. I just hate to see him so unhappy. My brother and I can leave and he has to stay. On other things, I think it takes a real man to admit he'd scream like a girl over a spider. I must admit, the thought of it makes me laugh!

NikKi:
Thanks for you sympathy, sorry to hear about your father.

 

Blogger courtney said ... (3:50 PM) : 

YUMMY @ the crab.......glad you guys enjoyed the day inspite of the downer... :)

 

Blogger Brea said ... (10:38 PM) : 

Thanks Courtney!

 

Blogger princessdominique said ... (2:35 PM) : 

I thhnk this must be my first visit here. I followed your link from DevasT. Great reflective posts you write.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Princess Dominique:

Love your login name! Thanks for stopping by and for the compliment.
Much appreciated!

 

Blogger Brea said ... (1:34 PM) : 

Katrina:
Thanks for stopping by! Moms can be quite trying sometimes! Thanks for your understanding and sorry to hear about your own situation. Thanks for the compliments!

 

post a comment