Wednesday, October 12, 2005

This one goes out to you

I just wanted to share two Ani DiFranco songs with my female blogger buddies who have been feeling a bit of funk lately. I think there is a special bond between women, even if only through a computer screen. I think it is because we have all "been there". I just want to let you know you are not alone.

out of habit
the butter melts out of habit
the toast isn't even warm
the waitress and the man in the plaid shirt
play out a scene they've played
so many times before
i am watching the sun stumble home in the morning
from a bar on the east side of town
and the coffee is just water dressed in brown
beautiful but boring
he visited me yesterday
he noticed my fingers
and asked me if i would play
i didn't really care a lot
but i couldn't think of a reason why not
i said if you don't come any closer i don't mind if you stay
my thighs have been involved in many accidents
and now i can't get insured
and i don't need to be lured by you
my cunt is built like a wound that won't heal
and now you don't have to ask
because you know how i feel
you know how i feel

art is why i get up in the morning
but my definition ends there
and it doesn't seem fair
that i'm living for something i can't even define
there you are right there
in the meantime

i don't want to play for you anymore
show me what you can do
tell me what are you here for
i want my old friends
i want my old face
i want my old mind
fuck this time and place

the butter melts out of habit

thirty two flavors
squint your eyes and look closer
i'm not between you and your ambition
i am a poster girl with no poster
i am thirty-two flavors and then some
and i'm beyond your peripheral vision
so you might want to turn your head
cause someday you're going to get hungry
and eat most of the words you just said


both my parents taught me about good will
and i have done well by their names
just the kindness i've lavished on strangers
is more than i can explain
still there's many who've turned out their porch lights
just so i would think they were not home
and hid in the dark of their windows
till i'd passed and left them alone

and god help you if you are an ugly girl
course too pretty is also your doom
cause everyone harbors a secret hatred
for the prettiest girl in the room
and god help you if you are a phoenix
and you dare to rise up from the ash
a thousand eyes will smolder with jealousy
while you are just flying past

i'm not trying to give my life meaning
by demeaning you
and i would like to state for the record
i did everything that i could do
i'm not saying that i'm a saint
i just don't want to live that way
no, i will never be a saint
but i will always say

squint your eyes and look closer
i'm not between you and your ambition
i am a poster girl with no poster
i am thirty-two flavors and then some
and i'm beyond your peripheral vision
so you might want to turn your head
cause someday you might find you're starving
and eating all of the words you said

Heads Turned for: "This one goes out to you"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:24 AM) : 

AMEN!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:29 AM) : 

Nice songs...oh well...I leave it with an Amen as well!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:54 AM) : 

I feel left out as a man :(

 

Blogger Brea said ... (12:11 PM) : 

'Ka & Kat:
I have the same reaction to most of Ani's songs. "Amen! Sing it sister!" See? ;)

Stunner:
Sorry 'bout that - I just haven't seen any male bloggers writing about how they have been hurt the last couple weeks... It is what it is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:01 PM) : 

I am so glad that you posted 32 Flavours! That is, like, my life theme song! =) And you're right. Ani DiFranco has this way of wording out the female emotions and thoughts well. =)

This entry struck me especially because I felt really bad over the last day or so. I had a little fight with my boyfriend and had a hard time in school. So yes, this made me lighten up. Yup. I think it's the power of women. We know each other in unspoken ways and just know how to cheer each other up! =D

 

Blogger Drea Inspired said ... (7:36 PM) : 

"i said if you don't come any closer i don't mind if you stay
my thighs have been involved in many accidents
and now i can't get insured"

LOVE IT!!

Very nice post, Brea!

 

Blogger Rose said ... (1:27 AM) : 

Enjoyed that post Brea. Thanks for inviting us in.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (12:53 PM) : 

Storm:
I'm glad.

Pisces Gurrl:
I know exactly what you mean - it is a shame.

Marz:
Isn't she awesome?! Glad it brightened your day :)

Brownsoul:
She has a way with words, doesn't she?

MJ's House Boi:
And gay men!!! Glad you enjoyed it.

Rose:
You are quite welcome :)

 

Blogger Uncle Enore said ... (1:37 AM) : 

I'm trying really hard not to make some cheesy comment relating what you said about women having a special bond to wonderfully disgusting lesbian stuff.

This is VERY hard for me. Nearly impossible...difficult...pant...wheeze...

May as well throw in a snort while I'm at it...

 

Blogger Didi Roby said ... (2:15 AM) : 

Yeah Ani is powerful...She should have a books of spoken word...does she?

Hey now! by the way ma!

 

Blogger Meadow said ... (1:43 PM) : 

Ani rocks. Thanks for posting these lyrics.

 

Blogger Waddie G. said ... (6:51 PM) : 

I'm a male, and I love Ani's music...

 

Blogger AsianSmiles said ... (8:47 PM) : 

Nice post Brea!
[i don't know the song but the lyrics are great]

 

Blogger princessdominique said ... (9:07 PM) : 

I'm totally into lyrics and I love those.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (11:46 PM) : 

SimonT:
She is amazing - she's my fav artist. A link to all her lyrics is on my sidebar. You can also check out www.righteousbabe.com

Yaz:
I know what ya mean! Thanks!

Uncle Enore:
Nothing lesbian about it actually.

Dee-Dee:
She has been doing spoken word the last few years - she has a couple tracks on her last few albumns.

Goddess:
Yup :)

Asian Smiles:
Glad you enjoyed it :)

Princess Dominique:
Yeah, she's great.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (11:48 PM) : 

ProfessorGQ:
Good for you! I think more men should give her a chance.

 

post a comment