Friday, October 07, 2005

Just DON'T do it!

Now I am going to try to gather my thoughts enough to answer my own question: what is the most important attribute you look for in a good relationship? I'm not sure there is a word for it in the english language, and if there is I am too lazy to try to think of it. The closest I could come is somewhere between comfort and security.
"When someone loves you, the way
they say your name is different.
You just know that your name
is safe in their mouth."
- Billy, age 4

In a relationship, I want to be able to share any and every thing and know that the other person feels safe enough to do the same with me. When they need someone, I want to be there and know they will do the same. That is the short answer. Now this is where I step up on my soap box. I have a lot of beef with a lot of relationships I've had. I'm happy to say I've spent the last year weeding out the bad ones - but the hurt and irritation is still there and I feel like venting. Consider yourself warned.

  • DON'T judge me. I have a lot of dark spots in my past and "fuck up" is my middle name - so I feel like I should be able to share all of it and not be judged. Nothing is worse than getting "that look". And if you don't know what look I'm talking about you are either really good, have had nothing but awesome relationships, or you are the one giving it. I am an adult - I waited 18 long years to make adult decisions - don't give me that fucking look. I hate it.
  • DON'T lecture me. There is a HUGE difference between voicing your opinion and lecturing. Professors lecture - parents lecture - clergy lecture -friends share opinions. I don't need someone to agree with every decision I make (how scary would that be?!). I like to hear other's opinions - they may bring up a point I missed or shed new light on a situation - I value that. Please, offer your opinion, but don't lecture me. I like conversations NOT lectures.
  • DON'T disappear when you enter a new relationship and then reappear when it breaks up. I can't even begin to count how many of these friendships I've been in. I can handle once maybe even twice - but three, four times?! He/she was more important then so why are you calling me now?
  • DON'T tell me you don't have time. I was working two jobs, going to school, taking care of a 93lb dog and planning a wedding at one point in my life - I still made time for all my friends. There are 720 hours in the average month - you can't spare any? I'm not going to be the one constantly calling to talk or offering an invitation somewhere. I'll do it for a time but I stopped playing chase in elementary school. If you aren't going to make the effort, guess what, neither am I. Don't give me excuses - I had a dead beat father, remember? I hate excuses.
  • DON'T expect a surface relationship because Brea don't play that. I have a strong personality and I like to have fun - people are drawn to that. But there is more to me than that crazy party girl you see at the bar or that kayaker you see on the water. If you want a relationship - take the time to get to know the other pieces of me. My other pieces may not be a heart stopping thrill ride, but they are worth getting to know. I'm a whole person, not just a piece of one.
  • DON'T disappear when I need you. I will call to check in on you. I want to know what is going on in your life. I want to share in your hopes, dreams, triumphs and failures. I want to be there for you when you need me. I answered every time you called me crying - every time. Can I get the same in return? Why am I supposed to be the strong one without any problems all the time?
  • DON'T let your baggage clutter our relationship. I understand you have been hurt in the past, I have too, explain to me again why I am getting blamed for your past? Honestly, if you are that hurt by your past relationships that you are letting it ruin your current ones, maybe you need some time alone or some counseling. I can respect that and I will be here for you if you need help working through it. But sorry, I will not be your scapegoat.
  • DON'T expect perfection. I am only human - I am going to make mistakes. I am never too proud to admit when I am wrong. And when you do something to hurt me, I may not let you know right away, but trust me I will let you know. Let's talk about it and move on.
  • DON'T disrespect me. Yes, I'm laid back and a lot of fun, but I am also deserving of the same respect you show your mother. That also means don't talk about me behind my back. Anything you have to say to me can be said to my face. I don't bite....hard. I will always treat you with respect - I expect the same.

Okay, I'm stepping down from the soap box. That is about all I can write this time of night. I'm thinking about all the crap I need to get done tomorrow so I better get to bed soon. After reading this post, you may think I sound like a complete bitch - I am - only becuase I'm sick of being everyone's doormat. Seems like you have to be a bitch to get what you want. Brea the bitch - has a nice ring to it :) Hope everyone has a fun weekend planned. If not - GET TO IT!!!.

Heads Turned for: "Just DON'T do it!"

 

Blogger S A J Shirazi said ... (2:29 AM) : 

Godd that you spelled out donts here. Like a good boy, I will remeber them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:34 AM) : 

Shirazi's comment made me smile. Hehe! Good boy you are! =)

The "don't lecture me" point was clever. It's good that you put it towards the top. The problem with people that lecture is that they're probably even bigger screw ups than what they hide when they're availing of their own soap box.

Wonderful post. Makes me think of wanting to compose a list for my next post too. But what to write..? =P

 

Blogger MZPEACH said ... (1:16 PM) : 

You broke it down. I was feeling every single word you wrote. I totally agree with you about everything. I feel the exact way about the relationships I have with my friends and lovers. Girl, I loved all of your points. I am going to post this on my blog if it is okay. Or I can just email it to my boyfriend. I am diggin it.
This post really made me think about my true feelings.
***Thanks for adding me as a link. I wish I knew how to do it, because your will be up on mine too.*****

 

Blogger MZPEACH said ... (1:16 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Blogger Drea Inspired said ... (10:00 PM) : 

I love this post, Brea.

So true about baggage and perfection....oh, and my personal favorite is "don't disrespect me." I can express myself without being disrespectful and I expect the same. So when we have a disagreement, I don't accept "I was upset" as an excuse for disrespectful words or actions. If I let you disrespect me, then I'm not respecting myself....never that.

 

Blogger Rose said ... (1:21 AM) : 

Again you came out telling it like it "tis". Thanks girl for holding it down. This was a great post as usual.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 PM) : 

i LOVE this list!!!!!!! i'm gonna send this to my girls... :)

 

Blogger Brotha Buck said ... (6:43 PM) : 

Brea,

I'm almost afraid to give my...opinion. Kidding. Hey, you should post some of those examples you speak of because I just dont see from reading your blog where you come across as a timid doormat, or a brazen bitch either.

 

Blogger Friar Tuck said ... (10:44 PM) : 

Interesting post to read, although it seems like you are saying that one hand that you want a guy to be open, honest, and vulnerable, but then if he says or does something honest and normal you are going to be pissed at him for not being perfect. Anyway....

 

Blogger nosthegametoo said ... (11:13 AM) : 

I liked your post. For me, I would only say that all the other things mean nothing if I can't TRUST my partner. Sometimes people are just paranoid, sometimes your partner has shown you untrustworthy qualities. But without trust... it won't continue for long. No matter how nice the little details are.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (12:36 PM) : 

Shirazi:
Lol!

Marz:
I have to agree with you, the people that have all the answers scare me.

I love list posts - looking forward to reading yours.

Professor Spex:
Thanks :)

Georgia Peach:
Feel free to pass it along. Glad to see you back!

Brownsoul:
I hate that excuse too!

Rose:
Thanks :)

'Ka:
Boys too?

Brotha Buck:
Unfortunately, I spent many years as everyone's doormat. I still am on occasion. I guess my new attitude of demanding proper treatment is such a stark contrast to what people are used to I am afraid I come off as a bitch. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Jazema2:
Thanks for the advice - these were mostly friendship rules.

Don Juan de Bubba:
NOT AT ALL! And these are friendship rules that also apply to romantic relationships. But I had friendships in mind while writing it.

Nosthegametoo:
Absolutely - trust is HUGE. Thanks for the addition.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

A relationship is also about you so you shouldn't worry about being a bitch or not because you are not. At least you know what you want and that's always already a good base for a relationship.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (1:22 PM) : 

Kat:
Thanks - I needed to hear that!

 

Blogger Didi Roby said ... (2:51 PM) : 

I Love this freaking post! Mind if I Print this joint and put it up on my cubical at work?:)

You did more then break this ish down...you spoke on it girl!

Great Job!

P.S. you're no Beeatch...you just know what you want. And that is wealth unfathomed ma!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:34 PM) : 

Oh i totally get what u mean by getting to know the other side rather than whats on the surface. And i know the baggage thing all too well. Its funny how i always get accused of all the things my predecesor did. Well, fingers crossed for the right one... = )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:42 PM) : 

Oh, hmmm, and there's no need to be a 'bitch' or in my case a 'bastard.' 2 options: Either ignore scum or give it back to scum by not caring... Do things on ure terms. Unless they're one of the good ones... Which are few and far between sad to say these days.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (12:46 AM) : 

Dee-Dee:
Post away sweetheart and thanks for your kind words.

Crude:
I'll keep my fingers crossed too! I don't try to be a bitch, I am just paranoid that I come off as one. Seems like people are so accustomed to keeping the peace that they don't know how to react to those who are brutally honest.

Storm:
My BIGGEST pet peeve! You would think that adults would have enough experience to know that friendships outlast romance - but alas we are still have to deal with this crap!

DIVA:
I'm not sure where Billy is, but he certainly has wisdom beyond his years. His parents did a great job!

 

Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said ... (11:48 AM) : 

I hear you, girl, and support you 100%. Great post! Charming quote from Billy. It's a keeper.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (12:02 PM) : 

DCS:
Thanks for your support!!

 

Blogger Brea said ... (1:06 PM) : 

MJHB:
Wow, thanks for the encouraging words! Don't apologize for not commeneting - looks like your plate is plenty full. Take care of yourself!

 

Blogger Matt said ... (7:39 PM) : 

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use a photograph of yours in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt
matt@wefeelfine.org

 

post a comment