Monday, September 19, 2005

Divide and Conquer!!

(I got my camera back and added in pics)
At the moment, my life is a bit disorganized.

Ok, A LOT disorganized.

The post-it notes are outta control - I am slightly behind on my reading for school - my inbox has several e-mails from last month I have yet to respond to - I'm about to run out of underwear b/c I haven't done laundry in FOREVER - anything placed on my desk is on an "at-risk" basis. . . Ok, I'll stop there; I think I'm humiliated enough.

So, I have dedicated this day to taking care of that. No work. No school. Just laundry, e-mail, piles of papers, calendar, reading for school, and some much needed cleaning.

Sounds good, right?

Sounds good to me, but there is a problem. When things get this bad, I get overwhelmed. I don't know where to start and end up immersing myself in some small project instead of taking care of the big picture. Example: last week's organization of my scrapbooking stuff. Okay, I have mail that hasn't been opened since July, friends that think I'm dead, and my clothes hamper is about to blow! What did I do? I organized my scrapbooking stuff. You see? Major problem.

Fortunately, every problem has a solution. I blame everything on the second job. I quit and it felt so good!!! Granted, I only worked there a couple days a week (b/c my manager guilt tripped me into staying after I landed a better job), but it was sucking what seemed to be every free moment. I have been busier than what is healthy. I am going to have time to breathe now - so exciting!!! The down side is that extra cash was intended to finance my shopping sprees. I hit all three of my favorite stores last week: REI, Loehmann's, and Target. Those days are over. **sniff** But after last week - I don't think there is anything left in any store I don't already have. Anyway, I have great plans for my new found freedom: cook dinner, more outdoor activities, exercise Trek more often, get more active in the organizations I belong to, and finally stay on top of all the shit I have to organize today. I'll be a leaner meaner me! Good stuff.
Well, as with any Monday post, I will recap my weekend.
Thursday:
Worked in the morning - got out of class early afternoon - shopped until I dropped. I did the most damage at Lohemann's - went skirt crazy and got a few cute tops too.

An array of fun skirts :0D Posted by Picasa

Friday:

Got my hair did (thanks DIVA) - work (see a pattern here?) - went down with a friend to party at TU with my brother.

Danielle & I on an Asti night :0) Posted by Picasa

Saturday:

Quit!!!! I quit, I quit, I quit!!! Ha ha ha ha (evil laugh). Then I went on to have the absolute worse service of my entire life. Let me explain. I went out with friends to grab dinner before hitting the bar. The waitress takes forever to greet us. When she finally comes to the table and asks us what we would like to order, our response was, "Can we see a menu?" Duh! We finally place our order and after what seems like eternity, it arrives at the table. "Can we have some utensils and napkins please? We also ordered a side of seasoned fries - is it on its way?" She is not at all apologetic but is plenty bitchy. Sorry for asking you to do YOUR JOB! We are irritated, but still nice at this point. She brings the utensils and napkins. The fries come out a bit later. I'm starving and get to dressing my burger while munching on fries. It looks picture perfect and I cut the "medium-well burger" I ordered in half.

Does this look medium-well to you?! Posted by Picasa
The camera doesn't do it justice - that burger was mooing and bleeding all over my plate. Last I checked, medium-well meant slightly pink - NOT bloody red. What did the cook do, slap it on the grill and then the bun two seconds later? I was pissed - but it gets better. The server took nearly 20 minutes to come back. She tells me the burger cannot be re-made and doesn't even offer me the chance to order something else instead. Now I'm pissed and have completely lost my appetite. THEN this bitch leaves the plate of bloody burger in front of me for the rest of the meal. Better still - she tries to charge me for it!!! To add insult to injury, she gets an attitude when I asked her to have it taken off the bill. Talk about last straw, "Do you really expect me to pay for a burger that was undercooked that I did not even eat?!" She storms off mumbling something about how she will have to talk to her manager. A few minutes later, she comes back all cheery and shit, saying the burger has been taken off the bill and for us to have a good night. Too late for that shit - I already hate the air you breathe. THEN she takes forever to service the bill. We left a 70 cent tip. Bitch wouldn't have even gotten that if we'd of had exact change. I have waited tables off and on for four years. I have absolutely no patience for bad service. My blood is boiling as I type this. WTF?! How does she make any money? Grrrrrr. I decided to call it a night after only half an hour at the bar. I had a bad vibe and figured I'd leave before something else bad happened.
Sunday:
Spent quality time with Dad. So much quality, he agreed to watch Trek next weekend while I'm away backpacking. Sweet - that is $100 I don't have to pay for boarding. After father-daughter time, I headed downtown to pick up Stephanie and then we made our way out to Annapolis - kayaking!!!!


A view from the cockpit Posted by Picasa

We met up with Kjeresten and her friend Marina. It was a perfect day for paddling, the weather was absolutely gorgeous.

Left to right: Stephanie, Kjersten, and Marina Posted by Picasa
After paddling 45 minutes, I decided I wanted to cross the channel to scope an island for wildlife. After fighting the wakes and the current, not so much as an ant was spotted on that island. After paddling around for a while longer, we decided it was just about time to head back. One problem: every boat and yacht in Annapolis had the same idea! We paddled our little hearts out trying to get across the channel without being killed. My arms were burning and there were boats heading at us from every which direction. It was pretty funny afterward, not so much at the time. Like I said, disastrous fun - the story of my life. We made plans for a whitewater rafting trip and another paddling trip in Georgetown sometime in the near future. I have ALWAYS wanted to go whitewater rafting - the last adventure sport I have wanted to try. I am soooo excited!!! :) :) After paddling, Steph and I headed to downtown Annapolis and went through several of the artsy shops. We then parked ourselves at an outside cafe where we both had a yummy salad, topped with a grilled tuna steak, and wasabi dressing. Yum! I ended the day with a walk with Trek by the moonlight .
A drama-free weekend for the history books.
So, back to getting organized. I have prioritized what needs to be done and am going to force myself to follow the list - in order. Divide and Conquer!!!!!
Smiley for the Day:

Heads Turned for: "Divide and Conquer!!"

 

Blogger Jeni Angel said ... (4:29 PM) : 

I agree with you about the bad service thing.

My friends here seem to just accept that Seattle has bad service, but I can't seem to take that mantra on. I mean, I didn't choose your job for you.

I have a friend that will tip 20% no matter. I, on the other hand, staring giving demerits or happy points once I sit down.

grrrr, your experience is making MY blood boil!

Good luck dividing and conquering!

 

Blogger KjerstenGreg said ... (4:33 PM) : 

Yum! I wish I could've gone to dinner yesterday... stupid boy didn't even appreciate that I came home to see him. I love Annapolis so much, it's such a beautiful city!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:46 PM) : 

you had 1 very interesting weekend there... :D

bad service??? argghhh... hmm.. we don't need to tip 'em for bad service, do we?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 AM) : 

Thanks for dropping by. And i know exactly what u mean about 'at risk' on the desk... Hahaha

 

Blogger Rose said ... (11:44 AM) : 

I'm glad that you got a chance to enjoy yourself this weekend, except for the crummy service at the restaurant..why tip at all with such bad service?...that's a green light to keep up poor service and bad behavior... a penny would have shown the waitress you didn't forget...or am I just being too hard?

 

Blogger Friar Tuck said ... (12:39 PM) : 

I always order my hamburgers well done. That just looks gross.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (1:12 PM) : 

Jeni Angel:
I still can't believe how AWFUL the whole experience was! Thanks for the good luck - I need it!

Kjersten:
I didn't think he would with his 8 football games to watch ;) I guess you'll have to stick around for lunch after our Georgetown paddle.

Professor Spex:
It has been a whole week since I've posted - OF COURSE I have a lot going on ;) Pictures make everything better. I hope those skirts look good on me - I have yet to try them on.

'ka:
Sure, and here is the tip - FIND A NEW JOB! But yeah, other than that - good weekend. Thanks :)

crude:
No problem. Oh yeah, I'm afraid of what I'll find!

Rose:
Thanks :) I don't think you are being hard at all. Like I said, I used to be a server and if I ever treated a table like that - I'd expect to be fired.

Don Juan de Bubba:
And gross it was. Yuck!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:33 PM) : 

Hey! I think your camera indeed didn't go justice to the mooing and the bleeding because that hamburger dish looked really good. But that is bad service, if the meat is having their monthly visitor while you're eating it. Okay that was gross, hehe!
And the service.. hm.. I think that lady deserved what she got. I mean, if she wanted something higher, she would have at least had a little more consideration and cooked your meal a little longer. =S

That's awesome that you had an Asti night. =)

I've always wanted to learn how to kayak. It's cool that you can do that with your dad. =)

Take care, Brea!

 

Blogger MZPEACH said ... (5:15 PM) : 

Wonderful post Brea!! I am extremely overwhelmed right now with the exact same things (ever down to the laundry situation girl). Isn't that crazy? I even respond the same way. We will get it together:). You are so fortunate to go Kayaking, I have been rafting before which was excellent.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (7:29 PM) : 

Marz:
TRUST me - that burger looked like it does in the grocery aisle. Yuck! Ah yes, good ol' Asti!!! You should def try kayaking, I'm sure you'd love it!

Georgia Peach:
It is crazy how our lives parallel - let's get it together girlfriend!!!

 

Blogger Drea Inspired said ... (9:26 PM) : 

Sounds like my life...disorganized and behind in my reading for school!...doesn't it feel good to quit a job!!!!...ewwwwwwwwwwww, at that mooing burger.

nice blog...thanks for stopping by my spot

 

Blogger princessdominique said ... (9:33 PM) : 

Brea I'm with you on the post it notes, its a madhouse here too. Papers and scribbling everywhere! As for the meat, nope, it looked uncooked to me! Just charred on the outside. And cute picture!

www.princessdominique.com/blog

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:16 AM) : 

i definitely won't eat that meat... ewwww.....

 

Blogger Brotha Buck said ... (9:20 AM) : 

Medium well: no Raw: yes

Hey that looks like so much fun out on the boats!

 

Blogger Brea said ... (11:36 AM) : 

DIVA:
I'm glad I inspired you; I thought I was bad! LMAO!! Good luck getting things under control. You could always just buy more underwear... ;)

Brownsoul:
Thanks for stopping through.

Princess Dominique:
I love pot-it notes - but when they get out of control, it is just plain scary! WAY undercooked and thanks for the compliment on the pic!

'ka
She looked at me like I had two heads when I said I couldn't eat it!!

Brotha Buck:
If I wanted raw burger, I would have eaten it straight from the package!! Kayaking was a blast! How is your "break" going?

 

post a comment