Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving?

The ever evolving Thanksgiving...
  • 0-13 Thanksgiving was a huge family gathering at my grandparents home. My grandfather prepared the entire meal with the exception of my grandmother's famous rolls. There were three rooms full of people and food. After dinner, my grandfather and uncles would have a jam session until the wee hours of the morning. My Dad was the only one who never learned to play a musical instrument, so he would sing. My cousins, brother, and I would dance and sing along until exhaustion left us passed out on the couch. Thanksgiving is one of my fondest childhood memories. When my grandfather passed away, it was evident he was the glue holding our family together. After his passing, there were no more cookouts or big dinners - large family gatherings just stopped.
  • 14-17 Thanksgiving became the perfect time for our annual family vacation. On any given Thanksgiving, we would be somewhere different in the world. Each trip was always a surprise and each trip my parents went all out.
  • 18-20 Once I started college, I could no longer go on a two week family vacation - I had to be in school. So, our tradition changed yet again. Now the holiday was spent at home. My mom would prepare dinner and each year a different family friend or neighbor would join us.
  • 21 I spent both my birthday and Thanksgiving in the hospital with liver failure. I was pretty depressed, thinking I'd have to spend the holiday alone. To my relief, the nursing staff extended visiting hours and opened up the cafeteria just for us. My Mom transported the entire dinner, fixings and all. Thanksgiving was spent in the cafeteria with my parents, brother, and Yoni.
  • 22-24 Thanksgiving became a holiday spent as a blended family. After dating Yoni for a couple of years, naturally our parents wanted to meet each other. My Mom extended an invitation for his family to join us for Thanksgiving dinner. I remember how nervous Yoni and I were: his parents are VERY Jewish and my parents are VERY Christian and then there were the glaring cultural and racial differences. We had visions of a religious debate amongst flying sweet potatoes. But nothing could have been further from the truth - they got along famously. Each year the Thanksgiving table became filled with more laughter, more food, and more love. Thanksgiving became a gathering of our blended family, with collard greens sitting right next to baba ganoush.

By the time Thanksgiving rolls around this year, I will be 25. Scary. I've been curious to see what our Thanksgiving would look like this year. Yoni and I are no longer together. However, our parents are still great friends and go out together several times a month. Would we have dinner with a two ton elephant in the room? Would we revert to the Thanksgiving we had before his family? Neither, my parents are skipping town. They are taking a vacation - without us. That's right, my brother and I will be fending for ourselves this Thanksgiving. WTF?! Whatever happened to family togetherness? I look forward to this holiday each year. What is better than eating all your favorite foods (Soul food or Israeli food) all on one plate? What is better than seeing the look of agony on the face of the sucker dumb enough to take my Dad on in an eating contest? What is better than having dinner, together, with my family? Apparently, a vacation is. Think of us and our pizza as you carve the turkey this Thanksgiving.

On a lighter note, I hear the Friday after Thanksgiving is a huge party day. Perhaps we will take advantage of having a big empty house at our disposal...

Heads Turned for: "Happy Thanksgiving?"

 

Blogger Meadow said ... (3:36 PM) : 

Ah, family traditions ...

Pizza? That'll never do. Y'all wanna come to my house? ;)

 

Blogger Jeni Angel said ... (4:18 PM) : 

OH No!!!! Thanksgiving is the most important holiday!!!!

If you lived closer, you'd be invited to TDB.

Maybe you and your brother can learn to cook a turkey. And make the foods that you like and forget about the yucky stuff you always skip over.

I am sure you two will make it a special day.

 

Blogger princessdominique said ... (6:06 PM) : 

Thanksgiving used to be important to me, but now I think I'd rather travel and come back after the fact. Everything is soooo commercialized.

 

Blogger Friar Tuck said ... (8:06 PM) : 

When I visit my aunt we do homemade pizza cause the rest of her family does not like turkey and all the fixins

 

Blogger Drea Inspired said ... (10:06 PM) : 

interesting how tradition evolves over time. thanksgiving has gone from a huge family gathering at grandma's to spending the day at home with my parents and sisters and then doing drive-bys to visit my extended family.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 PM) : 

mellow thanksgiving.. is the theme of mine this year... 'cuz i have this frigging thesis presentation on dec 1st... argghhhh

 

Blogger Rose said ... (10:59 PM) : 

I love Thanksgiving because of the family and the way we gathered to share stories and life in general. I don't want to cook a bunch of food though....I'm not looking forward to that...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:02 AM) : 

At least you don't have to complain about a failded Thanksgiving - but pizza shouldn't be the meal for your Thanksgiving.

 

Blogger Hasan Mubarak said ... (1:03 AM) : 

I can compare Thanksgiving with EID. We have the same kind of family reunions and parties on EID.

Hope your 25th Thanksgiving's the best you ever had!

 

Blogger Anhoni Patel said ... (9:15 AM) : 

Whatever you eat - the best part of Thanksgiving is getting together with friends and family. Even if there's drama, you can always look back at the moment and think about what crackheads they all are.

YUM.

 

Blogger Didi Roby said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Pizza is not an option ma!...:)

 

Blogger Michele said ... (10:36 AM) : 

Brea,
You sweet thing, you could come to my house if you were around. Thanksgiving has moved to our house this year (and probably for all the years to come!), but it would be boring with just soul food (Israeli food sounds absolutely scrumptuous!). Still my mother in law would have you laughing about silly stuff, and so would my hubby. I loved this post...nothing like sweet memories. I miss your grandfather for you and for your family.

Peace,
Bay

 

Blogger Nicholas said ... (12:39 PM) : 

Well at least you won't be totally alone in a country that dosen't recognize Thanksgiving. have fun while you can.

 

Blogger MZPEACH said ... (1:24 PM) : 

The older I get the more they are making me cook. I don't like that. I would rather peel the potatos. This year I am just going to bring my so I can stay out the kitchen. I was thinking Cranberry sauce.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:50 PM) : 

I have no Thanksgiving tradition, considering that we don't celebrate it in Jamaica. Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving.

 

Blogger Unconquerable Soul said ... (3:32 PM) : 

sounds like your going to have a great thanksgiving!

 

Blogger Brea said ... (10:03 PM) : 

Goddess:
Pizza is a pretty sad Thanksgiving, isn't it? Thanks for the invite :)

Jeni Angel:
Us? Cook a turkey? Ha! We'll burn the house down - then how are we supposed to have our party Friday night? ;) I think you are right, we'll have to put our heads together to make the day special.

Princess Dominique:
Sorry to hear that - I haven't found our Thanksgivings to be commercialized. They are always a special time to be with family. Looks like my parents agree with you about traveling - they are skipping out on us **sigh**

Brownsoul:
The concept of family in general has evolved. I hope you have a good time with your family!

'Ka:
Yikes! Good luck with that.

Rose:
My mom made me cook the entire meal one year - I feel your pain - preparing such a large meal is a lot of work!

Kat:
I guess we should come up with something better than pizza - huh?

Hasan Mubarak:
Thanks!

Anhoni Patel:
I'm not worried about drama - I'm worried about starving!

Dee-Dee:
I know :/

Baysuite:
Awww, thank you! And yes, Israeli food is fantastic.

Nick:
True - thanks for the perspective.

Georgia Peach:
Lol - I run from cooking when I "have to". I love cooking when I want to. Maybe it is our rebellious spirits at work?

Stunner:
Do you have a similar family holiday?

Unconquerable Soul:
It does?

Everyone:
Thank you for the invites and the well wishes. I hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving. You've inspired me to do Thanksgving "Brea style". Don't worry, I have the fire department on speed dial ;)

 

Blogger Brea said ... (10:06 PM) : 

Don Juan de Bubba:
Don't like turkey and the fixin's? What?! Man, some people just don't know a good thing when they taste it, do they?

 

Blogger Aud*2020 said ... (11:17 PM) : 

It's amazing how this phenomenon of family dispersal has occurred during our generation. It's the same way with my family--your timeline is similar to my own. Thanksgiving at the grandparents used to be a huge to-do, but now we find ourselves traveling all over creation to do a quick "hi" and "bye" thing since everyone's got their own agendas.

It's odd, kinda sad...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:58 PM) : 

It's nice to read through your years celebrating your Thanksgiving, primarily because I don't celebrated the event. So perhaps it's harder for me to comprhend it anymore as a holiday that is close to.. uuh.. Christmas?

Whatever happens for this Thanksgiving, I hope that it's fun and fruitful, even if your parents are not around. =) I wish you the best! Take care!

 

Blogger Fahd Mirza said ... (3:40 AM) : 

I hope you enjoyed it in a grand fashion amid the myriad turned heads.

 

Blogger Teej said ... (6:13 AM) : 

Make sure you dont party too hearty okay?

 

Blogger Brotha Buck said ... (10:05 PM) : 

Our thanksgivings have not been the same since losing my grandmother. I feel ya.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (12:57 PM) : 

Sticky-icky-icky:
I think it is sad too - I really miss the big to-do :0/

Marz:
Thanksgiving is a family holiday in which you "give thanks" (hence the name). In my tradition, we go around the table and say one or two things we are thankful for, before the meal. Then we stuff ourselves silly - eating all our favorite foods. After the meal we sit around and talk and laugh all night. Not this year though...

Fahd Mirza:
Lol - thanks

Teej:
Never that ;)

Brotha Buck:
The "old folks" had an amazing ability to hold the family together - didn't they? **sigh**

 

post a comment