Sunday, November 06, 2005

In my own reality

Payback is a bitch. Friday night all I wanted to do was sleep. I was in bed before midnight, a very rare occurrence. At 3am I received a drunken phone call. I can't complain, I did my share last weekend. I would, however, like to point out that my calls were made on a Saturday night, Halloween weekend might I add, and they were all before 1am. This, on the other hand, was just some random Friday night. Okay, I just wanted to point that out - moving on... After entertaining the caller I crawled back into bed, but couldn't sleep. Then I started thinking - and no, I didn't hurt myself. I was thinking how we all have our own reality. With every human connection, there are two or more sides. Two people experience the same conversation, share the same moment in time, and yet come away from the experience with something different. Sometimes the difference is slight and sometimes there is a complete disconnect. And it was this disconnect that kept me awake Friday night.

This fall I have witnessed the end of two relationships: the bar guy and my best friend. I say witnessed because my reality is so completely different from theirs that I feel like I was never in the same relationship to begin with. How can two people in the same relationship have such disconnect? With the bar guy it may have been a matter of timing. I met him the same day I ended things with Yoni. I let the bar guy in, fast and hard. At the time I thought it was some awesome connection, and now I see I was probably filling a void. I never had to deal with being alone. It was also bad timing on his part; he was still going through the emotional strain of the dissolution of what sounded to be an emotionally abusive marriage. At times I was blamed for non-existent intentions and at others I was just plain disrespected. I'm sure his reality is much different - a total disconnect. With my best friend, it was a long time coming. She’s a “good girl”, raised in a stable Christian home, attending a private college, never experimenting much with the impure. Me - not so much. I had a dead beat father, was sexual molested and assaulted, raised by a bi-polar mother and a step-father who is an enabler of her illness, attended a large university and could make a career out of experimentation. In high school it was drugs and smoking, in college it was partying and drinking, and in young adulthood it was sexual exploration. I learned early on sharing these pieces of me would result in "scolding". It became a parent-child relationship where these parts of my life were not shared. Like my parents, I'm sure she was not naive to the fact these things were going on, but I didn’t talk about it. In my reality, I was avoiding the concern that would often come across as judgment. I was stuck in a pattern I started as a child. It sounds ridiculous, but I had been in the pattern for so long I didn’t really see how incredibly dishonest I was. But there came a point in our twelve years of friendship where I did see it. I knew “catching her up” on all she had missed would result in feelings of hurt and betrayal – rightfully so. So, I continued as was. But recently, as I have learned to accept my past, I grew tired of being in a relationship where I didn’t feel comfortable being who I am – the good, the bad, and the ugly. I’m not an exception – many people travel down some dark roads before finding themselves. I didn’t want to have to constantly remind myself that "she is just concerned" when my gut was screaming judgment. So yes, the relationship was bound to fail. In her reality, I was dishonest and setting her up for the failure of our relationship. Dishonest? Yes. Set up? No. Again, disconnect. Fact is, I cared about her deeply. I would do anything for her and I know she would do the same. She was always there for me and I did my best to be there for her. She knew the big pieces of me, except for the rebellious piece. I thought somehow, we’d move past “don’t ask, don’t tell”. But I was naïve; that would never happen. That rebellious piece is just as important a part of me as all the rest. She would never be able to accept that. And so, twelve years of friendship ended. My only sadness is that in the end, she experienced the feelings of hurt and betrayal I wanted to protect her from. I can't change the past, but now we can both move on, and I am thankful for that.

Naturally, my Friday night thoughts moved to Yoni - the disconnect that broke my heart. I began analyzing the relationship. It is much easier to do now that I have been removed from it for some time - hindsight is 20/20. We were together for 5 years. Although that may not seem like a long time, it was. I was all of 19 when we became an official couple. In those five years we did a lot of growing and maturing - we went from college parties, to careers, to engagement. Now that we are faced with the question, “what do we do now?”, I don’t have a clue to its answer. It is hard to see what problems were matters of maturity and which were matters of the heart. It is all intertwined and picking it apart is damn near impossible. I ask myself many questions. Did I fight hard enough for our relationship? Have I already fought too much? Do people change? Do we try it again? Do we move on? Do I want someone or do I want him? Does the fact that I love him so much mean anything? What of our realities? Can we repair the disconnect? Well, tonight is the talk I have been waiting for. Unfortunately, time has not allowed for any organization of my thoughts or feelings. I think what I have now is an even bigger mess. From our brief conversations before, he is as confused as I am. In his words, “love was never a problem”. It shall be interesting...

Saturday was a bad day for Trek. He got into the neighbors garden. She has deer rope running around it. The ropes are designed for a larger animal, so Trek had no problem getting in by jumping clear over the ropes. The problem was when I called him to come home. He didn’t pay attention to the ropes as he answered my call and came bolting right through them. Well, as you have probably already guessed, the rope intended to keep deer out did a good job tearing up Trek’s front legs. After a thorough scrubbing, I tried bandaging the wounds, but he kept chewing them off. So, he’s stuck in an e-collar until the wounds heal.


Poor thing. Posted by Picasa

Sunday is usually my day to take Trek to the park, hiking, or swimming. Not this week.

We couldn't play fetch b/c the poor thing would probably break his neck trying to retrieve the ball. Posted by Picasa


We couldn't hike b/c the collar gets caught on brush. Posted by Picasa


We couldn't swim b/c of the risk of infection. It's not a good idea to let the bacteria in the water come in contact with open wounds. Posted by Picasa

So we settled on a long walk around the neighborhood.

Poor Trek. Posted by Picasa

Nothing eventful or crazy this weekend, just a sleepless night, a few drinks with people from work, an injured dog, tons of homework, and a conversation with my first love. Nothing out of the ordinary here - just another day in my reality.
Smiley for the Day:

Heads Turned for: "In my own reality"

 

Blogger Brotha Buck said ... (9:52 PM) : 

Trek looks as though he's not game!

 

Blogger Virginia Pereira said ... (10:54 PM) : 

Hello Brea, how are you??
I miss a presence of you in my blog!Why?? I am awaiting your visit!Kisses
Virginia
www.amornatural.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Rose said ... (11:50 PM) : 

Poor Trek...And you too since I know you like to do those activities to. Hope you guys feel better soon. Trek looks so cute in his collar. I think you are on to something in really understanding yourself. Great anaylsis.

 

Blogger Friar Tuck said ... (12:31 AM) : 

Your thoughts on your friendships made me think of my own.

I guess I am more about loosening connections with people who become more toxic instead of completely breaking connections. There are exceptions to that, but not usually.

But then again the issues I run into over and over again are a deep sense of loss over lost or broken relationships.

But I find myself in the same place. There comes a point where I just have to be straight up with people and stop telling them what they want to hear and be nice all the time. I have a friend who got angry with my post about Texas, took it personally, and has not talked to me since. And I am not going to do like I have often done and rush back and try to make things right.

As Rich Mullins says, "my friends are the way I wish they were, they are just the way they are."

At the risk of pissing you off, let me just say this. A lot of times we have friends that come into our lives that challenge us to deal with the issues that we will keep coming up against until we deal with it. In other words, challenging relationships, whether they continue or not, can be blessings in disguise.

 

Blogger Fahd Mirza said ... (1:45 AM) : 

sorry for the drunken call. :)

 

Blogger Stacy-Deanne said ... (2:34 AM) : 

Hi Brea,

I enjoyed your post. It was so deep that it made my migraine return which wasn't hard since I've been dealing with them all week. It also made me think of a lot of things. With friendships, I've had more downs than ups. I only have one good friend out of family and that's all I need. If I meet other (true) friends later on in life, I may find that a gift but I have found myself hurt more than happy when it came to past friends. It seems like I'm the one always getting my feelings stepped on and everyone expected me to handle everyone else's problems. Well, every time I turned around there was no one for me. The friend I have now is overseas and the best friend I could hope for. She was there before I became successful so I know she's a true friend. I'm a public figure so I can never be sure when someone is a fake or really is my friend. Luckily I am a good judge of character. If you're depressed, please visit my blog. I have some fun, uplifting topics going on there that will put spark in your day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 AM) : 

Live isn't easy after all. I guess it is normal to let your relationship pass again...and one day you'll probably will smile over it.

 

Blogger AsianSmiles said ... (4:02 AM) : 

I agree about differences in seeing "realities" Brea. Different people have different ways of learning and different ways of living. We all go through different phases of life and we all react to them differently.

Good news though - there are lots of people around us and there are lots of opportunities to meet them. We will find the right friends, lovers and mentors who share the "same realities" that we adhere to - it may take time and we may get hurt in the process, but we will find them soon enough. They're just around the corner, and I'm sure they're looking for someone like you too. :)

Sorry to hear about Trek... hope he feels better soon.

And here's wishing that you stay happy and pretty.

:)

 

Blogger MZPEACH said ... (9:12 AM) : 

Wow, yesterday post was very poetic. You revealed a lot about yourself. Thanks so much.

 

Blogger Meka said ... (1:39 PM) : 

I could relate to so much of this post. You're right about people coming into our lives to make us face our issues. That has happened to me so many times. Good post!
Your dog looks miserable, poor thing, lol.

 

Blogger Meadow said ... (4:30 PM) : 

I find it fascinating how two people can be in different relationships together, too.

And poor trek. :(

I tend to have a don't ask, don't tell policy with just about everybody. Most of the people I know have sticks so far up their butt it's unbelievable. I respect it, I do, as much as I can. But jeez, that can't be any fun. :)

 

Blogger Drea Inspired said ... (9:31 PM) : 

Profound.

Sometimes I feel like have such a hard time getting people to understand where I'm coming from. I usually chop it up to them not listening or caring when the reality is that they just view the situation differently.

You and Trek look so sad. I hope he heals quickly!

 

Blogger Didi Roby said ... (11:50 PM) : 

Wow and ppl call me transparent...I absolutly love your honesty in this post.

I read it twice so that it would really sink in. I admire anyone who can be as honest and real as they can through their writing...I too am that way...shooks I am an open book in the world I have so cleverly created for myself:)

Good for you...not the drunk part though...lol:)

And poor Trek...that collar looks uncomfortable to me:( Feel better Trek ol boi:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:35 AM) : 

oh... poor thing... i hope trek will get well soon...

uhmmm... life isn't easy at all... but i do believe that everything happens for a reason... and it's true.. 'cuz if i look back, there're so many things from my past that i'll say thank God i went thru those shit :D

someone said to me once 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' :)

 

Blogger Edz said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Hey Brea,

No matter what happened in your past, the failures don't count. What is really important is what you are learning from them, what is important is you recognizing your mistakes and being able to live despite them.
You said there are two sides to each story or relationship. I will say that there are 3 sides, your reality, your friend's reality and the reality. I have only one friend left in my whole life. Just one. I'm not sure where she is now, I'm not sure if she is thinking about me, I'm not sure that I enjoyed her when she came to visit me 4 months ago, but, I do love her a lot. Keeping a relationship alive is an art because most of the time, love is not enough. Love is never enough... That's the problem!!!
Thank you for your post, again.

 

Blogger see-through faith said ... (5:43 PM) : 

:) thanks for this

 

Blogger Nicholas said ... (6:12 PM) : 

Nice and deep post, well to me it is. One day we will all find that one. And poor trek, I know you both will miss all that fun.

 

Blogger Cherise said ... (7:03 PM) : 

Brea,

Hey Girly. I had to reread your post to get the total effect. I was really interested in the parts concerning your ex-relationship with your best friend. I think I have something similar. Whereas I feel that we have done all we can do and grown all we can grow.. and frankly my Life is going in a different direction... Sometimes it difficult to let go or we don't want to let go for fear of being alone or moving onto to something new. I have this problem in my life. I don't know how to fix it/
Hope Trek feels better.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (9:42 PM) : 

Brotha Buck:
Understatement of the century - poor thing has been running into furniture all week!

Rose:
Thanks hun :)

Don Juan de Bubba:
You haven't pissed me off. I know exactly what you mean about challeneging relationships. I have those relationships in my life now - the difference is they have "been there" and I can relate to them better. It was too much of a disconnect having to hear "what I need to do" all the time from someone who has never walked in my shoes. It's hard to explain but it was time for us to go our seperate directions. Thanks for your comment.

Fahd Mirza:
LOL! It's okay ;)

Stacy-Deanne:
I think the best friends are the ones you meet later in life - you meet them after you know who you are and are out doing the things you enjoy. I'm glad you have found a true friend. Sorry about the migraine but glad you enjoyed the post.

Kat:
I think it is a part of life.

Asian Smiles:
Thanks! You and Rose always have something uplifting or positive to say :)

Georgia Peach:
You are welcome. How is the PI career coming along? ;)

Meka:
It is nice to hear people can relate to some of the thoughts going through my head ;)

Goddess:
My days of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy are over! I hope you get out of that soon too.

Groove:
You said it!

Brown Soul:
That is what makes relationships so hard - stepping outside of your world to see something from another's view.

Dee-Dee:
I think I am most honest in my writing - b/c I sit down and write when I'm ready to let things out. I wish I'd put up with less shit in real life and just tell people like it is - instead trying to keep from hurting everyone's feelings. I'm getting there though.

'Ka:
That's true, it is much easier to look back than when you are going through it. And I think that saying is true, I feel stronger everyday.

Edz:
All very true. If only love were enough...

See-Through Faith:
Welcome :)

Nick:
It was deep - I felt a weight lift after writing it.

Reese:
Wow, and you aren't the only one to re-read it! I guess a lot of people go through this same thing - that is comforting to know. In dealing with your own hurt, you will know when it is time for you to fix the problem. Something will click when you have had enough, you just need to be strong and do what your heart says.

Everyone:
Thanks you for the well wishes for Trek. I can report that he is healing just fine but still has to wear the collar b/c he starts licking the wounds when I take it off. TMI, I know, but that is what I'm good at! ;)

 

Blogger Aud*2020 said ... (11:24 PM) : 

This is an incredible, emotion-packed post. I am so sorry that you had to experience the childhood that you describe, which sounds frighteningly similar to my own. We've thought my mom's own issue was bi-polarism, and though it may have been at one time, it has extended to something much worse.

Five years IS a long time, I know...especially if you spent a lot of time together within that five years. I went through a similar relationship and would do anything to have it back. Just be so cautious as you make the decisions to end/begin relationships.

Trek looks so sweet...makes me want a dog again!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 AM) : 

Sorry I am late in responding to this. I read this a couple times, but I wanted to compose what I wanted to comment on.

First off, thank you for opening yourself up to us in the way that you did. That was brave. It seems as though you have come to terms with it enough for you to talk to other people about it. Sorry to hear about your past. You definitely seemed to have come out of it fine, because you have intelligent insight when you look back on it. Plus the honesy, which is something that is emphasized.

It's true what you said. One relationship can be seen in more than one way. Realities differ from person to person, and it's sad that there is no exact connection to see it in one exact way. Yet it's interesting because it gives a broader perspective.

 

Blogger Brea said ... (12:48 PM) : 

Sticky-icky-icky:
Caution taken - thanks for that thought. And Trek says thank you ;)

Marz:
Better late than never ;) Thanks for your thoughtful comment.

 

post a comment